Author Topic: question about a waste oil burner  (Read 9676 times)

coldblooded

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: question about a waste oil burner
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2023, 10:44:09 pm »
Thanks Russ!

coldblooded

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2023, 03:39:17 pm »
What is a good size line to use between my steel drum oil storage tank and the ammo box?  Can I go with 1/4 inch, or is a different size better?  Thanks

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2023, 04:39:27 pm »
It's been so long that I don't remember what I used.  I think I used something like 3/8.

coldblooded

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2023, 04:57:59 pm »
Ok.  I'm going to get a steel drum and weld a 3/8 nipple on it and attach a shutoff and line.

coldblooded

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2023, 12:12:36 pm »
What happens if you don't have an air solenoid on the air inlet?  I should get a NC (normally closed) one right?  And any advice on wiring it up?

I bought a 2660 vacuum pump, but it doesn't have a capacitor.  Any advice on finding the right capacitor for it?

Thanks

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2023, 07:09:55 pm »
I only used a solenoid when I used my big compressor.  You need something to cut the air off when the furnace is shut down or it would continue to blow air and siphon fuel along with it.  I just left mine in when I got my vacuum pump because I was lazy, but really wouldn't need it because the pump switches on and off with the burner with no storage tank to keep supplying air so it quits just as soon as the pump stops.

I am no expert on capacitors, but mine has an Amrad R2000/37-156 on it.

Hope that helps.

coldblooded

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2023, 07:55:04 pm »
thank you sir

coldblooded

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2023, 10:18:31 pm »
I hooked up my ckburner kit for the 1st time.  I got it to light but the blower fan quits turning and the flame goes out shortly after.  Craig said something about the pre-purge/delay, and the air solenoid, but I don’t have an air solenoid.  Why is this happening?  What should I do?  Thanks.

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2023, 10:46:27 pm »
Good to see flame, but bummer to hear that it doesn't keep going.  If no air solenoid, how are you starting and stopping the air flow?  There is usually a flame sensor that will shut everything down if it doesnt see a flame to prevent fuel from going everywhere.  Is it possible the sensor is not seeing the flame or otherwise not working for some reason?

coldblooded

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2024, 10:05:23 am »
Good to see flame, but bummer to hear that it doesn't keep going.  If no air solenoid, how are you starting and stopping the air flow?  There is usually a flame sensor that will shut everything down if it doesnt see a flame to prevent fuel from going everywhere.  Is it possible the sensor is not seeing the flame or otherwise not working for some reason?

Hi Russ, Hope you are well.  To test the flame sensor, I bypassed it.  But the problem didn't go away.  CK said "Sounds like you have a safety that has a pre purge delay. If this is the case, the air solenoid needs to be on the valve terminals. The cad cell cannot see light during the pre purge delay". I'm sure he's right but I haven't figured out what he means yet. I don't have a air solenoid, I took your advice and have a onboard Thomas 2660 vacuum pump/compressor and really don't know how to wire it up, or how to connect the wires to the safety.  As a test, I'm currently just manually plugging the onboard compressor in when the burner motor starts.  How do I wire up the vacuum pump?  I didn't think I needed a air solenoid, but I guess I do.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 10:44:42 am by coldblooded »

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2024, 12:51:49 pm »
In your case you don't have an air solenoid and you don't need one.  You would use a solenoid if you had a large compressor with an air tank.  That air tank would always have air in it and if you didn't have a solenoid, the air would continue to flow, even when the burner was shut off.  In your case, you are controlling the air flow by turning your vacuum pump on and off, eliminating the need for a solenoid.  So when CK says to connect your solenoid to the valve terminals, you could just connect your compressor there instead.  The question that I am unsure about is if the valve terminals supply 110V, and if they do, would they provide enough current to start and run your vacuum pump.  I will look at my setup tonight and see if my pump is powered directly from the primary control, or if I have some sort of relay installed, I cant remember.  But in the meantime you can certainly plug and unplug it as you need.  When you plug it in, it should be providing air to siphon the fuel.  And then if you have spark, you should have ignition.  Now, as to why it is shutting down shortly after it starts, it seems like a safety kicking in somewhere.  Do you have a display on your control that indicates what might be happening?

coldblooded

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2024, 01:58:33 pm »
In your case you don't have an air solenoid and you don't need one.  You would use a solenoid if you had a large compressor with an air tank.  That air tank would always have air in it and if you didn't have a solenoid, the air would continue to flow, even when the burner was shut off.  In your case, you are controlling the air flow by turning your vacuum pump on and off, eliminating the need for a solenoid.  So when CK says to connect your solenoid to the valve terminals, you could just connect your compressor there instead.  The question that I am unsure about is if the valve terminals supply 110V, and if they do, would they provide enough current to start and run your vacuum pump.  I will look at my setup tonight and see if my pump is powered directly from the primary control, or if I have some sort of relay installed, I cant remember.  But in the meantime you can certainly plug and unplug it as you need.  When you plug it in, it should be providing air to siphon the fuel.  And then if you have spark, you should have ignition.  Now, as to why it is shutting down shortly after it starts, it seems like a safety kicking in somewhere.  Do you have a display on your control that indicates what might be happening?

I don't have much of a display.  It's just a solid or flashing red light indicating a lock out condition.  But CK also said "7505b has a prepurge delay. Don't turn the air on until it does its 15 seconds prepurge.  It says it has a 15 second pre".  So I think he means, let it call for heat, the blower motor will turn on and the ignitor will start sparking, then I should wait 15 seconds to plug in the compressor.  But I thought if the ignitor sparks for 15 seconds it'll lock out.  I need to get out there and try it and see what happens.

coldblooded

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2024, 02:03:10 pm »
another picture

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2024, 08:10:53 pm »
Everything looks blank in the pictures.  Do you have any lights when it is lighting or after it quits?

coldblooded

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2024, 08:59:29 pm »
Everything looks blank in the pictures.  Do you have any lights when it is lighting or after it quits?

Sorry about the pictures.  The manual tells what all the lights do. But I got some more info from CK.

CK said to hook it up this way:  "limit gets 110v, L2 gets neutral. Solenoids go on the valve terminal. Motor terminals powers the motor AND ignition transformer. THE NOZZLE CANNOT SEE AIR PRESSURE UNTIL AFTER THE 15 SECOND PRE PURGE".

So the valve terminals are 110V, but like you said, will this supply enough current to run the vacuum pump?  And, if I hook it up the way he said, the ignitor will always be sparking when the blower motor is running, right?  I think he's saying, if you use the valve terminals to turn your air on, there will be a 15 second delay before the oil ignites, and that's what you want.  If the oil ignites before the 15 seconds, the burner shuts down, and that is what I have been experiencing.  I was plugging my vacuum pump in before the 15 second delay, and that's what caused it to shut down.  At least that's what I get out of what CK said.  What do you think?  Thanks.