Author Topic: waste oil heat for my shop  (Read 16425 times)

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: waste oil heat for my shop
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2020, 08:51:09 pm »
It sounds like you found a winning combination.  Cheap heat! 

smichaelR22

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2020, 07:20:34 pm »
Back at it.  fired up the furnace after some upgrades and flew seemed plugged / restricted. 

inspected / replaced flew today after getting materials, found completely blocked with huge birds nest.

all good now and put about 5 gallons through it tonight with no issues. 

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2020, 10:46:23 pm »
Nice!  Cold weather rolled in here in a hurry.  14 degrees F here in MN tonight.  Not supposed to be this cold in October!  Glad to hear you got things burning well.  Stay warm, stay safe!

smichaelR22

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2021, 02:18:51 pm »
opps.  got my yearly safety reminder not to do dumb things and respect waste oil burners. 

i was adjusting and i think i had too much oil going in, fire went out. i shut off air, threw a bit of kero in, turned back air on and it blew.  stove must have filed with oil vapor and it just took off.  blew the front barrel door off on lower drum, blew my clean out door off on upper drum, and blew the stack apart like a banana in two places.  shock the shop pretty good and lots of black soot everywhere but i was just startled and not hurt.  sounded about like a 12gage going off at arms length. 

i guess i wont do that again.  maybe next stove design have a better blow out door plan.   

https://youtu.be/4BFF9yU5QJw   

Oilburner

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2021, 05:12:25 pm »

Must have been quite a bit of vapor in there to get that much energy out of the light off.

Vaporised Oil  which can be smoke, is not much different to gas or petrol fumes in that state.
Good job you were standing where you were when it Blew.

It pays to make sure any enclosed space is ventilated or cooled down before trying a relight.
Look on the bright side, You'll never be unawares of the problem again!  :0)

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2021, 10:58:41 pm »
Oh my!  Nice footage, but scary I bet!

smichaelR22

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2021, 01:08:17 pm »
next mission is to make quieter.  tried a 50CFM blower for forced air.  too small.  Air matress blower pumps are too loud and im on my 4th one. 

Check out the video and subscribe! (fabrication, hot rods, 4x4, and general mechanical foolery) 

https://youtu.be/-pertXgWaCw 

smichaelR22

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2021, 11:41:56 am »
ordered another blower that should have better CFM and higher static pressure

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CMQXV3S/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 

Also build a crane last month in the shop and unloaded some drums i picked up for free off Marketplace local

https://youtu.be/5O85PAGImhI 

got 4 drums of stoddard solvent (burns just a bit slower than diesel when lit) and 3 drums of WMO.  the solvent i seem to beable to mix 50-75% in with WMO and my setup will tolerate it, thins it out nice and burns clean.   should hold me rest of winter i think. 

smichaelR22

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2022, 10:46:00 pm »
back at it for 4th season.  installed new flew pipes and cleaned out my furnace / heat exchanger last week.  Nice to have a bucket truck now and not killing my self on a 40' ladder.    no changes this year in burn pot or blower.  probably will need to fab up a new burn pot mid season as it has a few pin holes in it.  have about 400gals of oil processed and ready so far for the season. 

id really love to build a waste oil boiler system that lives in a spare 2 car garage i havr (block building / metal roof) that i dont use to feed hot water to my house and my barn.  let that baby rip from OCT to MARCH and just make heat.  def plans in the works for next year. 

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2022, 10:55:08 pm »
Temps are cooling down and time to start thinking about heating again for sure.  Your bucket truck sounds like a much safer option than a ladder!  And your 2 car garage project... sounds like you could make some serious heat!  Get looking for some more used oil sources  ;D.

Burn safe!

smichaelR22

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2022, 11:09:33 pm »
its really sad, with a 36x120 2 story barn, i have set foot in my other 2+ car garage like 5 times in the last 3 years lol.  i stick my equipment trailer in there in the winter to keep the snow off the deck, other wise it sits empty.   seems like a great waste oil building :)

smichaelR22

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2022, 05:17:52 pm »
added an electronic pump to my setup today.  hoping for 60$ it lasts and doesnt fall apart. 

was really nice to have nice steady oil flow all day today in the shop. 

smichaelR22

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2022, 05:19:25 pm »

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2022, 10:30:42 pm »
Interesting pump.  Hope it holds in there.  Yea, it sure is nice to have things just run without babysitting all of the time for sure.  So is the pump dumping into the bucket, then going into your heater?

smichaelR22

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2022, 01:53:23 pm »
no, day one trying it out i just had the pump sucking from the old bucket and then pumping back to where the old bucket/ball valve use to drip oil to my feed tube. 

eventually ill clean up the setup and just have the pump pull from a tote.  i didnt have enough of the hose i needed and really just wanted to test it out for a few weeks before changing my existing setup thats been working for 4 years.