Author Topic: Home made furnace  (Read 10102 times)

Minnesota_Duane

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
Home made furnace
« on: January 15, 2017, 08:16:57 pm »
Hi guys and possibly gals,
I am working on a combination wood/WMO furnace for my shop. I built the main part in 1993 and used it for wood, it's 3/8ths thick well casing 30"x 4.5' When I initially built it it had a 55 with 32 2" tubes for the heat exchanger. I used it for a while but after I moved it sat outside and it rotted the 55 out. I made a new exchanger out of a 60 gallon vertical compressor tank I cut the ends off of and plated it has 7 4" tubes thru it now. The bottom has sand with fire brick on top to the bottom edge of the door. I would like to someday change it to a grate with a forced draft for burning wood. I have a gun and pump from a Black Gold waste oil furnace that I would like to use on the furnace, I tore everything apart and cleaned it, I have the pump/filter mounted. I was going thru and checking stuff on the gun and preheater and it seems that one of the heating elements inside the preheater is bad, of course Black Gold/ Energy logic says it needs to be replaced at a cost of around $450. I am hesitant to do this as I don't know how well it is going to work on the WMO. It works excellent on wood as it is and heat a 40x30 as warm as you would like it. So are there any Black Gold/Energy Logic gurus that could help me out with an alternative pre heater or a repair to my current heater?  I tried adding pictures but failed.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 07:59:57 pm by Minnesota_Duane »

doug

• Can't stop the fire now!
    • View Profile
Re: Home made furnace
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 02:46:59 pm »
great looking heater. you have some real talent.

that seams awful high priced. found this.
 http://www.wasteoilheaterparts.com/blackgoldsuniismartburnerwasteoilheaternozzleblockheater.aspx

next try calling these people to see if they can help you.
http://www.centralohioheaters.com/Parts.html

or pull your heating element and see if you can find a physical match for it somewhere else.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 03:03:12 pm by doug »
You can't put it on the internet if it isn't true!

http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=102.0

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 03:35:48 pm »
They epoxy the heating element into the preheat block forcing you to buy the entire assembly. What size heater did the burner/pump come off of ? With that short firebox you might over fire big time since that is a metered pump. 

doug

• Can't stop the fire now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 06:02:58 pm »
 now i know why they're so pricey.

do you think you could drill the old heater cartridge out? just a though.
You can't put it on the internet if it isn't true!

http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=102.0

Minnesota_Duane

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 07:59:16 pm »
They epoxy the heating element into the preheat block forcing you to buy the entire assembly. What size heater did the burner/pump come off of ? With that short firebox you might over fire big time since that is a metered pump.
If I remember right it's 1.4 GPH and 200000 btu. My burn chamber is 30" diameter by 54" well closer to 25x54 with the sand and firebrick in the bottom.

(I see where the confusion came from on that, my mistake it's four and a half feet long)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 08:01:17 pm by Minnesota_Duane »

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 08:21:52 pm »
That heater had like a 77" long firebox. I think a better option would be a Shenandoah B5 burner with J-pump. That way you could dial in the flame perfect for your size firebox.