Author Topic: Membership Drive  (Read 11936 times)

Oilburner

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Membership Drive
« on: February 21, 2015, 06:40:23 am »

I have 3500 subscribers on my YT channel that I feature all my oil burning designs and stupidity on.

Would it be allowed and or a good Idea to put something up about this forum to bring in some new people?

I haven't found anything else covering this subject matter but is sure is quiet round here.

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: Membership Drive
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 01:22:02 pm »
WOW!  That is a great following you have on your youtube channel!  Just goes to show you how much interest there is in oil burning.

I originally started this forum before I built my first burner because the only central collection of information I could find on the internet at that time was the Yahoo group altfuelfurnace.  Yahoo groups at that time seemed very unorganised, and may still be.  A web forum structure seemed like a much better idea.  I knew internet/servers/web forums better than waste oil, so I decided to set the site up.  My intent was never to make money from the site so you will never see advertisements.  The knowledge I have learned from others is my payment  :).  Attracting members has been a slow process.  A lot of members seem to come and go so we have a nice collection of info, but not a lot of continuing discussion like I was hoping for.  Maybe that is just the way it is or maybe there is a better way of attracting the right people?  I approached the admin of altfuelfurnace, but he seemed to have his following there and wasnt willing to spread the word about this site.  So search engines and word of mouth have been the way people find out about the site.  Maybe there could some better search engine optimization, but I'm not very knowledgeable on that subject.

If you would be willing to spread the word to your subscribers and or by any other means, that would be much appreciated.  The more information we can put together the better the site will be for everyone.

Thanks!

Russ

Fireman Jim

• View Profile
    • Email
Drip fed waste oil heaters
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 06:03:08 pm »
Thanks Russ,
Well, many heaters & a few heaters build especially for boilers, have been built and sold since my last post.
It's a busy time of the year building these drip fed waste oil heaters for New Zealander up and down the country. They like that free heating and free hotwater.

We have a problem in the waste oil heating industry, mainly the drip fed heaters and that can be very dangerous if not checked, I've had the odd times happen to me, where oil has builds up in the burning pot and it all wants to burn at once, we call it "the Chernobyl effect" where the temp can rises to 1000 F, and the thick black billows out the flue.
This smoke can be stopped by blocking the holes off in the rotor and becomes clear very quickly, but it takes a little while for the fire to die down to 600 F. The gas bottle will glows red and so can the flue.
So what we are thinking is, we will now put an overflow copper tube in the burning pot to stop this from every happening especially to people that install these heaters in their homes.
I will be looking into it today and will be posting it on our website: www.dripfedwasteoilheating.com hopefully later today.

So what will now happen, is should the fire ever drop down in temperature in anyway, and the oil feed continue to flow at the same rate, the oil beings to build up inside the burning pot, so now it will flow out of the pot into a catchment vessel ideally around 20 litres. This container will need to beable to hold hot waste oil, like cut down gas bottle.

These fires tend's to operate without any problems at all infact a bit like a gas heater.
I will light mine at four in the afternoon and have the house warm by the time the family arrive home at 5pm, and turn it off at 10.30pm and I really don't check it. I do have temperature gauge attached to the radiator so I know what the fire is doing via that gauge, and if that gauge ever drops or rises too much I will go downstairs and check the burner, often it's nothing. Anyway check out the website for the new addition.
If you have any other ideas we should be looking at please post.
I hope this Chernobyl meltdown never happens to anyone, check how much oil is in the pot.
Never use a frypan this oil can overflow when burning long hours, the ash builds up and the oil may overflow, as it has nowhere to go.
Cheers hamish 

Fly

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Membership Drive
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 09:44:03 pm »
Well I love the idea of a web form like this. You can go to YouTube & watch all the videos which is great. But forms
Are better as you can discuss idea’s one on one & learn from one another. Problem I see here is you can,t just pull
It up by Google. At least I could not. People can,t find it.   

Just my thoughts!   Fly