Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 11427 times)

wa2qcj

• Gettin' the fire started!
  • Long term interest in Alternative power.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Introduction
« on: February 16, 2014, 10:46:34 pm »
Obviously new to this group, and not exactly sure what to say here. I have had an avid interest in alternative energy for well over 30 years. The problem has been some place to work on anything of value. Most of my experiments have not done very well, but maybe now that will all change. Job situations and localities have not allowed me to do very much. I saw plans, a long time ago for a waste oil burner called the Li'l dragon, and had those plans but lost them in a move. I am deeply interested in having a clean burning waste oil burner, and anyone who would help me with this, I am more than willing to accept their help. A 'burning' question is, does anyone know about the Li'l Dragon waste oil burner plans? Does anyone have one, is it running properly?
My interest is high, and I have a few gallons to begin with, but just need some good directions to an efficient oil burner that I can build.
wa2qcj

UPSMAN

• View Profile
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 12:33:02 pm »
Welcome!
I am not familar with the plans you speak of but I thought it was a siphon based system, using air pressure to siphon.

I myself am using a pressure system . I get good clean burn on wvo or wmo at 75% wvo or mo, rug and 20ml of acetone.

For the house I have a forced air oil with wood. I am making some sawdust logs with wmo to get thru the winter with a dwindling wood supply.

I wanted a relatively simple system for the shop, flick a switch and instant start.  Makes it easy for the neighbor who does not have to fuss with anything.

For the house I will add to my oil tank every now and then but wont modify it.

Please browse around and let us know if you find the plans.

Larry
If it ain't burning then its not hot enuff!!

wa2qcj

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 09:29:34 pm »
Welcome!
I am not familar with the plans you speak of but I thought it was a siphon based system, using air pressure to siphon.

I myself am using a pressure system . I get good clean burn on wvo or wmo at 75% wvo or mo, rug and 20ml of acetone.

For the house I have a forced air oil with wood. I am making some sawdust logs with wmo to get thru the winter with a dwindling wood supply.

I wanted a relatively simple system for the shop, flick a switch and instant start.  Makes it easy for the neighbor who does not have to fuss with anything.

For the house I will add to my oil tank every now and then but wont modify it.

Please browse around and let us know if you find the plans.

Larry
Larry, the plans I am after would be a siphon type system. I did a search based on what Doug had to say. His reply helped, and I found who I was after, but the business seems to be closed. That will not stop me from seeing if those plans are still available. That said, the system that you use, are those plans available? Anything that works is fine with me.
wa2qcj

wa2qcj

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 09:33:02 pm »
I found this and it's not much help.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.energy.homepower/982i0P9xMS0
Doug, thank you for the reply. It was a big help. I'll see if home power magazine might be of help. I found the company I was after from the link you so kindly provided. I found who I was after, but the company is closed. I'll still call them and see if those plans might still be available.
wa2qcj

doug

• Can't stop the fire now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 10:35:16 am »

Are you planning on building your own siphon block and heater?
You can't put it on the internet if it isn't true!

http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=102.0

UPSMAN

• View Profile
Re: wa2qcj
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 04:55:13 pm »
My pressure burner is a stock home heating burner, Brock, and I turned up the pump presuure to about 150 psi, changed my nozzel to .7 so the flame is a bit shorter and not all over the firebox.  I mix my fuel at 25% rug and 75% wvo or WMO.  I add 20 ml of acetone. This I hope helps with deposits.  That is all, so no cost to modify.

My oil is at whatever room temp is, sometimes below 0 F and I get reliable starts.  Simple, anyone can do it and operate it.

LM
If it ain't burning then its not hot enuff!!