Author Topic: My conversion so far......  (Read 23241 times)

Bustedknuckle

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: My conversion so far......
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 04:34:21 am »
Thanks for that doug I've had a read there on the link,
I saw one utube one with a hair dryer you possibly saw it too, with the dimmer switch also on hair dryer ifinantly variaiable speed,   
I managed today to get the chance to get it going during the day, and the oil would have been warmer, with an upside down Bedford hubcap as the bottom plate this time it burnt rather well on strait oil, once lit with about a cup of deisil in the hubcap,

As the sun went off the tank efficiency dropped and flame got smaller, I rigged up an extra tank and hose with a diesel oil mix and got it cranking with that again, and the strait waste oil pipe was fizzing spitting and burning well again, but as I backed the mixed tank off the oil went back to dripping, and it burnt ok for a bit till it all cooled down a bit, however I've warmed around 100 litres of water with the wet back in around 4 hours, not hot yet,
I think I really need the oil warmer, perhaps per heated on chimney then coiled  more down the inlet tube to get more oil warmer and allowing for overnight burn hopefully,
I've seen some of these burn with little smoke on waste oil but I don't mind a bit Of soot but the smoke ain't a good look where I'm planning to use it,,,
Ill keep going and will perhaps try the wife's hair dryer tomorrow,,,  haha
Thanks again

doug

• Can't stop the fire now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 07:00:23 am »

If you feel like you need more draft you could add to the height of your flue.

You can't put it on the internet if it isn't true!

http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=102.0

Bustedknuckle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 02:50:23 pm »

If you feel like you need more draft you could add to the height of your flue.

This would be a valid point, this far I only have a small amount of flue on the set up untill I can steady it a bit and get it in permanant position so to brace flue once and only,
I have had it burn all night now but it's only just kicking over (oil rather cool this morning,)
So ill check in on it as the day warms up and I think then time to get it into position with more flue, and pre warming oil in the shipping container I'm planning to heat,

doug

• Can't stop the fire now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 08:39:01 pm »
Bustedknuckle,

Did you read this post from this site? He increased the size of his air intake tube to 4" and it helped his burn.

http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=23.0
You can't put it on the internet if it isn't true!

http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=102.0

Bustedknuckle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 03:35:58 am »
Thanks for that I hadn't seen that one, made for very good reading,
Although my inlet is already 4 inch, and a 6inch flue I haven't got any real height on th flue yet which, could be the missing piece to the puzzle, as the only other real difference is my intake pipe not being dead central at the bottom therefore neither is the bottom plate/burner,

I'd found a few sets of plans and forums of builds, but not of anyone troubleshooting a new build,   That set up is pretty much identical to mine,,  and sounds like he had the same initial problems as mine,,  with oil temps and draught ect,,
Might go with some taller flue shortly,,

Fairly busy at the moment and short on day light hours doesn't help but ill try for some flue extension and more pics in the next day or two before I go away for all next week, no experiments that week, supposed to be on holiday but ill no doubt be brain racing thinking about the burner if its not more promising before I go,,

Thanks again