Author Topic: Some success with my heater project.  (Read 9567 times)

Mohave_steve

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
Some success with my heater project.
« on: November 23, 2011, 09:24:19 am »
Hello All,

I have been tinkering with ideas for heating and generating power from WMO & WVO for a couple of years. I have recently achieved limited success with the burner pictured below. I found the basic design for the burner here:

http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_motherearth/z/WasteOilBurner.gif

I followed the basic layout using a 6" length of 6" steel pipe and a 6"x6" square of steel plate for the burner. 1 1/2 " steel pipe for the air supply fed by a small shop-vac with a lamp dimmer for speed control. Lastly, 3/8 soft copper tube and needle valve for fuel supply.

I had considerable trouble getting a good burn. First I determined that I was not able to deliver enough fuel to maintain the heat in the burner for continued operation. Endothermic reaction when attemting exothermic???
I examined the needle valve and found that the passage on the 3/8 valve was 1/8 or slightly smaller. I replaced the needle valve with a 3/8 ball valve. This solved the low flow issue.

The next issue was being to generate enough startup heat to reliably start the burner. I had been pouring 2-3 ounces of kerosene in the burner (cold) , placing a small wads of news\paper on it and lighting. then starting air & oil flow.It would bur vigorously for a bit then fade away. If I followed the same process but also held my propane torch to the side of the burner I had better success.

Not an ideal solution. I then tried placing a number of small wood sctraps in the bottom of the burner follower by the kerosene. This is a much more reliable starting method.

I can now start and run the heater with some consistancy. IAfter a short run time the sides of the burner begin to glow and the output from the stack is clean. If....

If I have everything adjusted just right. Unfortunately the fuel and air control methods need improvement.
I am going to start with the fuel control valve. I am looking around for a readymade solution. If I dont find one I have a rough idea of how to build one myself.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 09:26:51 am by Mohave_steve »

Backwoods

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Some success with my heater project.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 12:07:15 pm »
Neat set up Steve

Now

"I am going to start with the fuel control valve. I am looking around for a readymade solution. If I dont find one I have a rough idea of how to build one myself."

This is the key, basically need to find or build the same thing, a fuel control valve that adjusts itself according to what is needed,

To often it is hard to find just the right burn rate, either to hot or to cold,