Author Topic: fire not keeping up with oil supply  (Read 5643 times)

Henney do dar

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
fire not keeping up with oil supply
« on: December 28, 2023, 08:09:30 pm »
I have tried a gravity feed system from a tank. via a gate valve tap into an 8mm copper pipe onto the fire. The oil was between dripping and trickalling

First I tried it into a bowl but when oil burning the bowl soon filled up! So then I tried it over a rag sat on a grid/ mesh sat on some bricks so air could get under the fire, but still once the fire was going the oil would drip though the rag and onto the floor

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: fire not keeping up with oil supply
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2024, 12:27:35 pm »
I do believe this is one of the challenges of a drip system.  When the oil is cold, it will drip slower, then as it warms up it drips faster.  I do believe you will need some sort of regulator on the oil supply side to keep too much oil from dripping in.

Henney do dar

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
Re: fire not keeping up with oil supply
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2024, 03:25:01 pm »
I do believe this is one of the challenges of a drip system.  When the oil is cold, it will drip slower, then as it warms up it drips faster.  I do believe you will need some sort of regulator on the oil supply side to keep too much oil from dripping in.
i think it is better to regulate the trip tray in some form of float switch that will take the heat
Some kind of very small switch made from metal

But they make oil drip fed systems (or used to do) and they must of solved this problem