Author Topic: question about a waste oil burner  (Read 9606 times)

coldblooded

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
question about a waste oil burner
« on: January 20, 2023, 06:20:46 pm »
Hello, I'm new to waste oil burners.  I'm shopping around for an oil furnace to convert to waste oil.  Can I get some advise on what to look for?  Would one with a Beckett BF3 be a good choice?  Also, will I be hooking up my compressor to it?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 08:22:29 pm by coldblooded »

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: question about a waste oil burner
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 11:37:27 am »
Greetings Coldblooded!

Will you be going forced air or a boiler?  Yes, Beckett burners are easy to convert, especially with CKburners kits:
http://ckburners.com/

The CK kit will require an air source (siphon system versus pressure system) so yes, using an air compressor will be required.

coldblooded

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 10:21:56 am »
Hi Russ,
Yes, it would be a forced air system.  I'm shopping around for a used fuel oil furnace on Facebook to convert to waste oil.  I've looked into the CK kits.  It looks like they currently have a kit for $320 and a better one for $650.  I understand I should look for a fuel oil furnace with a Beckett AFG or AF burner, and the combustion chamber should be at least 12 inches deep.
Thanks for your reply and any advise would be appreciated.

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 02:06:41 pm »
Sounds like you are on the right track for sure.

Not a forced air project, but otherwise going to be pretty similar to what you are looking at doing, check out my build here:
http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=208

coldblooded

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 10:15:07 am »
I'm looking to buy a used Williamson fuel oil furnace in very good condition with an AF burner for $200 to convert to waste oil.  119,000 BTU I think.  Do you think I'll be able to measure the combustion chamber when I go look at it?  Any suggestions?  Should I buy it?

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2023, 12:47:37 pm »
If it is in decent shape I think that is a great price.  As you will notice with my boiler, I have a short burn chamber.  I was able to overcome this somewhat by extending the tube that connects the burner to the furnace.  You may be able to do this too if you have to.  I think forced air furnaces typically have a larger burn chamber so you might be fine.  Hard to say how easy it is to remove the burner, but if you can you could certainly measure.  I would think you should be able to make it work.

coldblooded

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2023, 01:12:30 pm »
OK, good to know,  Thanks!

coldblooded

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2023, 09:50:00 am »
I’m looking to buy a used Thermaflow fuel oil furnace with a round burn chamber that is 17" in diameter.  Is this suitable for a waste oil conversion?  I heard that the burn chamber should be at least 12".  Is that 12" in front of where the flame starts?  How far does the burner stick into the burn chamber?  Thanks.

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2023, 12:22:10 pm »
I would think the 17" should be plenty.  Should get good and hot to burn off any unburnt oil that hits it.  Yea I suspect they are talking form where the flame starts.  In my boiler the burner tube sticks inside the furnace about 3 inches.  Not sure that they are all that way though.

coldblooded

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2023, 12:41:06 pm »
OK.  I found one for $75.  I think he said it worked for a while, but it got so he had to keep resetting something to get it to fire and he gave up.  I'll re-read your post about your boiler project, and as time goes on, probably be asking more questions.  Thanks for your reply!

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2023, 07:39:45 pm »
Sounds good.  Good luck with the project!

coldblooded

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2023, 08:33:40 pm »
I bought a used Thermaflow fuel oil furnace to convert to waste oil.  What's that white stuff in the burn chamber?  Should I scrape it out?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 09:04:13 pm by coldblooded »

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2023, 08:12:51 pm »
I believe that is just ash.  I get quite a bit of that when burning oil.  Its good to clean out if it is excessive, but be careful not to damage the insulation.  If it doesnt come off easily, or isnt very bad, I would just leave it until you collect more after burning oil.

Looks good!

coldblooded

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2023, 09:26:40 pm »
OK, sounds good.  Somebody else also said it's a fiber liner and I shouldn't scrape it off.

What can you tell me about the air supply that is needed?  What's the PSI and cfm?  Is it better to have a little on board compressor to supply the air?  I don't know what would work.

Thanks.

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2023, 10:31:21 pm »
Oh, yea the thick part is the liner, that's the part you don't want to damage.  Its like a firebrick, otherwise you would probably burn through the chamber. 

For my siphon system I think I am running somewhere around 6 or 8 psi.  I used to have the shop compressor connected, but it seemed like overkill and I didn't want to keep putting hours on it, so I bought a Thomas 2660 vacuum pump.  It will work as a vacuum pump or a compressor.  It is very quiet and small.  It kicks on with the burner and runs the entire time. It's more than enough air for a siphon system.  I would never go back to using a full size compressor.

The new Harbor Freight ultra quiet compressors use the same style compressor I belive.