Author Topic: Waste Oil Hot Water Heater conversion  (Read 5458 times)

Tom Ferrier

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
Waste Oil Hot Water Heater conversion
« on: December 06, 2022, 05:09:22 pm »
Good Evening folks, I have been reading for a couple of weeks on wasteoil burners. I have picked up a water heater with an AFG Beckett burner. I have ordered a conversion kit from ckburners.
My question is I havent seen where anyone is using a converted burner in a hot water heater to hydronically heat their shop/spaces.
Is there a reason I am missing or just no threads on it?
I currently heat my shop and greenhouse with a gas fired hot water heater that is plumbed to some old cast iron rads. It works fantastic however the cost of Natural gas is expected to increase by a minimum 30% this winter and that is getting outof hand.
Looking forward to some advice from those who have been there and built that

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: Waste Oil Hot Water Heater conversion
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2022, 10:34:00 pm »
I think the reason you don't see many water heaters converted is because of the room needed for the flame.  I believe waste oil takes longer to burn and benefits from a larger burn chamber and a water heater just doesn't have the room.  Not saying it won't work, but maybe just not as efficiently as a boiler with a larger burn chamber.  I have no doubt the ckburner conversion will get you up and going.  Good luck and let us know how your project goes!

Tom Ferrier

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2022, 05:32:30 am »
Hey Russ Thanks for the welcome and the thoughts on the water heater. I had some concerns about the length of flame is it possible to shorten the flame? I took a look into the firebox of the heater yesterday and I notice it is covered with ceramic fiberboard. If Icant tune the flame down enough I thought I might be able  to put in some good refractory. I guess either way I will have a burner ready to go and in the mean time I will keep my eyes open for a good boiler.

Tom Ferrier

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2022, 05:09:12 pm »
Hey Russ is there a specific length for the burner tube? I seem to recall reading 9" from the flange.

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2022, 08:29:18 pm »
Man, its been a while since I have had to recall that info so I cant say for sure.  I am sure the recommended length is hiding in a post somewhere out here, but I'm not exactly sure where.  If you can, adding a length of pipe to pull the burner away from the heater may help.  I had to do that to some extent with my shallow boiler:
http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=208.0

Tom Ferrier

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2022, 06:47:42 pm »
are you still running your system Russ I found a nice boiler a little pricey though
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-home-indoor-other/norfolk-county/buderus-boiler-g115-with-reillo-40-burner/1642351048

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2022, 08:27:36 pm »
Yep, still in use.  I dont use it full time, just on occasion when I want it warmer in the garage or on the coldest days of witer.

Yes, that is indeed a nice boiler!  I think Doug on the forum here had one very similar.  He has a nice writeup on the form under user projects.  It has a very nice deep burn chamber.  But yes, that is a lot of money for sure.

Tom Ferrier

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2022, 05:51:22 pm »
Thanks Russ I have read and re read Dougs thread I am just going to keep the thread at
https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/threads/waste-oil-burner-in-a-40gal-water-heater.507404/#post-9891731
going

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2022, 10:03:44 pm »
Sounds good, looks like a much more active crowd over there for sure.  Good luck with the heater and thanks for sharing the link!