Waste Oil Heater > User Projects & Pictures

Upgade from drip system to hot oil vapor/air blower

(1/2) > >>

Rapidrob:
I've been running my stove I built as a drip system for several years now. It worked very well but had one draw back, the stove took more than an hour to reach 250 degrees F to turn on the circulation fan.
I needed heat fast to warm my shop.
I saw how to make a forced air drip feed system that is so simple to make its amazing.
The amount of heat the burner produces has to be felt to be believed. The burner is a simple steel pipe with a 90 degree bend firing into a Dodge Truck rear brake drum.
Oil is dripped into a 1 1/4"  steel pipe via a 1/4" pipe cut at  a 45 degree angle and the cut is placed towards the brake drum.
The pipe is directing air flow from a Hot Tub Bubble Blower. The blower is controlled by a Harbor Freight 120 volt motor speed control.
The rushing air passing the 45 degree 1/4" drip pipe end causes a low pressure to form. This pulls the oil out of the pipe as an oil fog and blast it into the red hot brake drum where it flashes into white/blue flame. The burn is complete leaving no ash and there is only smoke at start up.
Starting is by a shot of Diesel in the brake drum and light. The flames heat the end of the burner until it is hot enough to flash the oil fog to self ignite and spread the heat into the brake drum and stove body.
The stove now reaches 450 degrees F in 8 minutes! And the stove weighs 450 pounds. Adjusting the drip feed keeps the stove at this temperature all day long.
Running full oil feed will heat the stove to excessive temperatures in 20 minutes . I stopped the feed at 650 Degrees F.
The heat melted the copper Diesel feed start up line. I need to replace it with Stainless Steel tubing.
I will also install a Fail-Safe Blower Hi Limit control that will kill the blower power and stop the air flow.

smichaelR22:
nice work! 

smichaelR22:
about what gallon/hr are you running at? 

Russ:
Wow, yea that sounds like it is putting out some serious heat.  Thanks for sharing!

Rapidrob:
Fuel burn is about 5 gallons in 9 hours with this burner at the air flow set to minimum. If I was to restrict the air flow more I may be able to get 11 hours. The air flow now is so efficiently burning the oil that you have to keep the fuel drip at a slight trickle or the fire will be blown out by being too lean. There is no ash in the brake drum as it is "Cherry Red" all of the time as it is running. There is a slight odor of combustion as my fire door is not air tight.
This burner is a prototype and I will see just how well /not is works. The blower is quite,the oil burning is a fairly loud roar in the stove. You can hear it clearly outside.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version