Author Topic: New Member - Rich Scorzelli  (Read 8040 times)

RichScorze

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
New Member - Rich Scorzelli
« on: October 21, 2012, 08:52:11 am »
Hi All,

I'm joining to learn more about heating with WVO.  I've been members of other forums for alt fuels for transportation.  I've been making BD for years and use straight WVO in my Ford 7.3L.  BUT, now I'm out to learn how to convert my oil burner in the house.

What is the specific reasons why a Beckett pressure system is a problem and the low pressure air systems seem to be preferred?  What is the ultimate problem that causes everyone to migrate to a low pressure air compressor system?

Thanks,
Rich

tightwad nik

• The fire has been lit!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New Member - Rich Scorzelli
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 02:23:45 pm »
the biggest issue is that the oil needs to not only be very hot to allow ignition with a spark, and then with a pressured system the delivery needs to be very accurately metered, you would need to have a tank with the oil at about 90 degrees c and then a nozzle heater to bring it up to somwhere in the region of 220 degrees c i belive, waste oil doesnt need such high temps, needs more like 150 degrees c,

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: New Member - Rich Scorzelli
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 07:20:50 pm »
I had troubles getting my pressure system to light.  I had to heat the pre-heater way up and often times warm up the pump too, and still it was difficult to light.  The siphon system atomizes the oil so much better.  There was no way I could let the pressure system cycle on and off by itself.  No problem with the siphon system.  Lights every time.  The siphon system has never plugged up on me *yet*, but I went through several nozzles with the pressure system.

The siphon route is a little more expensive, but in the end is worth it in the reliability.

Hope that helps.  Good luck with your heater!