Author Topic: whick temperature controller?  (Read 12427 times)

Revolution

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
whick temperature controller?
« on: November 11, 2011, 08:40:44 am »
hi i am in the process of gathering all the parts i need to convert my beckett in to a wvo burner. im looking at temperature controllers but cant figure out which one i need? do i need one with a built in relay or ssr relay output? what is a good one that will get the job done
thanks

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: whick temperature controller?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 05:19:44 pm »
Welcome Revolution!

You can go either way with your controller.  If you get one with SSR output, you will need to purchase a SSR seperately.  If you get one with the relay built in, then you dont need to purchase one seperately.  Just keep in mind the load and make sure the built in relay can handle it.  If it cant, then you may have to go external. 

I think this is the one I went with:
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1&zenid=1cc141a6272fc835ef0068c3e18696ed

It is rated at 10A at 120V, which, if my calculations are correct, shoud be 1100W.  As long as you are under that wattage for the heater you should be fine.

Hope that helps.

Revolution

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 06:57:57 pm »
ok so i would have to get a thermocoupler with that one. with the built in relay does it got other outputs for external relays? what all runs off the relay?

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 09:11:37 pm »
Yes, you will need a thermocouple.  This is the one I have:
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_3&products_id=2&zenid=1cc141a6272fc835ef0068c3e18696ed

The relay output is normally used to control the preheater.  The controller also has alarm contacts that you can use to start the burner.   For example if you have the preheater on, then have the alarm contacts close when the heater has gotten hot enough, that in turn starts the burner.

Revolution

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 09:18:04 am »
guys will this controller work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/110761209223?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

i hope so cause i own it now

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 10:50:45 am »
Yea, I think that setup is going to work just fine for you.  Looks like all the parts are there in one package.

Hope all goes well putting it all together.  Have fun and dont burn anything you didnt intend to!

Revolution

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 01:55:34 pm »
haha thanks