Author Topic: Finally a working waste oil heater  (Read 18315 times)

scamp

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Finally a working waste oil heater
« on: May 29, 2011, 08:51:20 am »
About 3 years ago, I started to try to make a waste oil heater. At first stage I wanted to make a babington burner, but after 2 years of struggling with that I decided to go further with an other plan. So I tried the Rodger Sanders model (the one with the hollow cone) but after building and testing that one, I was not contented with it. Now about 3 weeks ago, I started with a turk burner. I finishend that one in about 3 days. When I tested it, I was very surpriced that it works this good. First testing was igniting it, and feed it by hand, with just een oil can. A few days later I maked a automatic drip feed on it, and let it burn for about 8 hours, and no problems @ all.

Oké now some pics;

The burner tube

The burner chamber;

Gearpump;

Manifold for drip feed;

Homebrew safety valve;

Homebrew power supply;

Set

Heat exchanger;

Oké later I tell you guys more..........if there are allready questions, ask them!

Greats from Holland
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 09:03:19 am by scamp »

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: Finally a working waste oil heater
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 04:53:42 pm »
Greetings and thanks for sharing!  Nice job on the heater.

I'm not sure on how the turk works.  Is that a pump on the top of your oil storage tank?  I see a fan, what is that for?  I also see one of the pictures that has a computer power supply.  What is that used for?

Looking forward to learn more.

Thanks!

Russ

steve

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 11:48:02 pm »
hEY Russ
lookes like a 12 volt pump thats what the power supply is for; im not sure how this oil burner goes toghther need more info and pics

Cmdr. Ron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 11:19:58 pm »
SHALOM!

Given that most Turk Burners I see sorely lack explanation, there are a couple bits here with which I can help.

Inside the outer shell is a bucket shape layer of refractory cement, much like the "works" in a small foundry.  Refractory cement is used because of the intense heat some of these things generate.
    The blower pushes combustion air into the burn pot (like a turbo on an engine).  Fan positioning forces a swirl around the inside of the refractory lining, which results in more complete combustion, typically well over 1,000 F.

Some Turks and foundries feed the fuel into the air inlet so they mix better enroute to the flame.

With a very small fan, they easily melt aluminum.  With a bit more fan, steel melts.  Unless photo perspective is off, or cfm output is lower than it appears, that fan is comparatively huge, more like a foundry I glimpsed that melts cast iron. :o

While exploring this stuff in search of a waste oil dripper that would output 30- to 50,000 BTU, I toyed with the idea of using one of these things with a tiny computer muffin fan to limit the heat to what I considered safe to use in my house.

That's about it, guys.  I hope it helps.

Cmdr. Ron
Shalom!
Cmdr. Ron