Fuel Delivery Styles > Babington

Oil pump?

(1/3) > >>

9 LIVES:
I've recently built a babington burner from plans I looked at online. I have a 15 gallon oil tank 3 feet above my burner which is located inside a 55 gallon drum that is laying on its side.

The problem I've had is that I first tried siphon feeding the oil into the burner since the oil tank is above the burner by 3 feet. That didn't work....

I have copper tubing going form the fuel tank to the burner. It does a series of 3-4 loops around my burner tube to help keep the oil coming in heated. I think that is where I was loosing feed pressure when I was gravity feeding.

Next I dropped some $$ on Murphy Machines MP-1 3 GPH waste oil furnace pump. I thoughts that would solve the issue because it flows the rate that I need. Well that does not seem to fit my need seing that its a piston pump I get inconsistant pressure. Each time the pump is on a return stroke my flame goes out. So my fire is ON OFF ON OFF ON OFF......

Any suggestions?

doug:
9Lives,

Welcome to the forum. Is your tank vented, what size is your copper tubing, is there any kinks in your tubing, whats the viscosity of your oil?

doug

9 LIVES:
It's 1/4" copper tubing. No kinks....although it coils around the burner tube to be used as a pre-heater.

The fuel tank is not vented but the heater unit it self is vented.  Im wondering if the piston pump isn't the wrong  kind of pump? I know I need more of a constant flow pump but couldn't find anything that would pump 2-3 gph. 

9 LIVES:
Most of the oil is 15W40. I have roughly 2K gallons of it.

doug:
 if your tank isn't vented it's like sucking milk up a straw and pinching the top of the straw. the milk won't run out the bottom of the straw till you give it some air from the top.

what size copper line did they run on the burner you found on line?

doug

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version