Waste Oil Heater > Fuel Oil Boilers

Waste oil boiler-design and where to start

(1/5) > >>

superduty_59:
I have been reading here for at least a year. I joined Yahoo alt fuels furnace and have read a lot there. I have been planning in my head and need to make a move this year. I need some help with some of the design. I will build a 12'x14' shed the house a converted fuel oil boiler. I am craigslist shopping for a good used deal. Hopefully a good used (the more the complete the better) system. I am a diesel tech. I'm not totally ignorant when it comes to this stuff. I understand the basic stuff but maybe I'm forgetting something of a way to do it better.

1) build shed about 30-40' from the house. Trench about 48" down to run the pre-made insulated boiler pipe. 2x 1" pex insulated inside a 4" field tile. Probably need an electrical run and 2 communications wire run.
2) heat exchanger for using my existing forced air furnace and ducting. I want to use boiler as the primary heat source and my LP furnace as a back up.
3) purchase a used boiler and use a CK kit to convert to waste motor oil.

Is there any sites to look at for all the little stuff that I need? I need help with knowing all the other stuff. Pumps, closed system? expansion tanks. aqua-stats. mixers. ect.

any help would be awesome!

doug:
my local plumbing shop helped me with the closed system, expansion tank, air bleeders, aqua-stat. most of the other stuff is from outdoor wood boiler set ups. pumps, mixer valves thermostat control.

superduty_59:
Thanks Doug. I kinda figured it would be similar to an OWB. I bet all those items add $ up to more than the used boiler. I do have a few pumps that I scavenged from some big (750-1250 kw) generators. Doug, what would be the minimum features in a basic system? Like aquastats, expansion tanks, ect. I'm trying to do this on a budget. I will not skimp on quality but may take longer to collect parts.

doug:
heat exchanger, aqua-stat, expansion, a couple air bleeders, and pump I have two ball valve  for water lines in and up. water supply for closed loop system you'll need water valve, check valve, pressure valve. does your boiler have a pressure release valve?

are you planning heating your domestic hot water?

what kind of boiler did you buy?

welcome to the site.

Russ:
Greetings superduty_59!  Glad you stopped by to chat.

You can check my boiler project out here:
http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=208.0

I tried to list as many of the parts and prices as I could, but see I missed some, like the expansion tank, air separator, etc... mostly plumbing parts. 

I bought most of my plumbing supplies from the former Pex Supply, now Supply House:
http://www.supplyhouse.com/

A lot of the other items were purchased off of ebay.

If you dont mind sharing, start a thread in the User Projects & Pictures category.  We would love to see what you put together.

Doug has a few years under his belt with some good experience with his boiler.  If you have any other questions let us know and hopefully we can point you in the right direction.

Good luck and be safe!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version