Author Topic: Hello to all from Ireland  (Read 7752 times)

desthejanitor

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hello to all from Ireland
« on: October 18, 2014, 02:53:48 pm »
Just want to say this forum is superb it is a great pool of info.
I had been looking into waste oil burners for some time but it took someone to rell me that i could not make my own burner push me to do it !!
Thanks to research on the net and a lot of time spent in the shed i finally came up with a unit that burnt waste oil i ran it for the entire winter last year and was delighted that it performed really well considering it was prtestty much thrown together, anyway this spring i pulled it apart and put the finishing touches to it and tidied it all up, to anyone else it looks like something that should be in the NASA space program....
A quick overview of what i did is as follows:
I got my hands on an old Bentone gun style burner (about 150,000 btu's) to use as the basis of the burner
I bought a siphon nozzle and holder off Ebay and machined  piece of aluminium to take the nozzle holder, directly below it and either side i drilled 2 x 8mm holes to take 2 x 300w heater probes.
These were to be controlled by a digital PID via a solid state relay.  The PID maintains the temperature at 135 degrees and will not allow the burner to fire until 130 degrees has been reached
I used the existing oil pump to circulate the oil from the main storage tank to the 1 gallon preheater tank mounted next to the burner, this was also allowed to return to the main tank in event the preheater tank was full
The preheater tank used a kettle element again controlled by a PID and an SSR to maintain the temperture of the oil at 45 degrees, there is also an immersion thermostat fitted as a cut out should the oil over heat and a limit switch on the ball valve to prevent the oil heating should the level in the preheater tank drop.
Ebay provided a solenoid valve to control the flow of air from the compressor.
Had a few problems to deal with but nothing i have not been able to overcome !!

Mark

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: Hello to all from Ireland
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 02:01:42 pm »
Greetings Mark!  Glad you stopped by and posted about your project.  I hope you found some of the information valuable out here.  Its people just like you sharing their projects and ideas that make this site what it is.  It isnt all that active, but each year we get more great posts and ideas.

If you get a chance to snap some pictures of your NASA project  ;) we would love to see them.

Stay warm and be safe!

Thanks!