Author Topic: Insurance question  (Read 9051 times)

huntfishdad

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Insurance question
« on: January 02, 2014, 12:17:06 pm »
Hi all.  I just registered for this forum.  Currently, I've just been playing around putting together different assortments of drums/drip systems/secondary burners, flues, etc. Mostly because I just like messing around with this type of thing. So far, this has all been done outside.... in the cold and wind.

I do not currently have any heating source in my barn.  I'm also getting very little positive feed back from my insurance company, and others that I'm looking into switching to, regarding any type of heat source, other than propane or natural gas. 

Do any of your have insurance companies that agree/approve to allow a waste oil burner, that you built, in your homes/barns/sheds/out buildings?  That don't invalidate your insurance due to it?  I haven't found one yet. I'm located in Eastern, Kansas.

Reply back if you do, and let me know which companies you work with that accept homemade, waste oil heating.

thanks in advance.

Dan

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: Insurance question
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 12:42:33 pm »
Good question huntfishdad.

I'm not sure on that question.  If you cant get anyone to insure you, you could always look into what Doug did with his setup.  He has a small outbuilding that houses his boiler & oil supply, then runs the hot water into the house and into a heat exchanger.

I realize there is a fair bit of work involved to make a setup like this work, but would be the safest in my book.  If the shed burns down, not a huge loss, and I doubt the water would ever cause a fire in the house.

huntfishdad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 02:09:15 pm »
That is something that I would like to look into. However, I don't know "Doug" or his setup.  Can you direct me to where I can learn more about that type of layout?

Dan

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 10:19:17 pm »
Yes, you can check out his progress here:

http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=102

superduty_59

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 05:07:05 pm »
I talked it over with my insurance company. They said as long as it is 25' from the house it's no problem. Outdoor wood boiler same thing. I want to build a shed about 35' from my house to house a waste oil converted boiler.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 08:05:00 pm by superduty_59 »