Waste Oil Heater > Waste Motor Oil

Waste Oil Hot Water Heater conversion

(1/2) > >>

Tom Ferrier:
Good Evening folks, I have been reading for a couple of weeks on wasteoil burners. I have picked up a water heater with an AFG Beckett burner. I have ordered a conversion kit from ckburners.
My question is I havent seen where anyone is using a converted burner in a hot water heater to hydronically heat their shop/spaces.
Is there a reason I am missing or just no threads on it?
I currently heat my shop and greenhouse with a gas fired hot water heater that is plumbed to some old cast iron rads. It works fantastic however the cost of Natural gas is expected to increase by a minimum 30% this winter and that is getting outof hand.
Looking forward to some advice from those who have been there and built that

Russ:
I think the reason you don't see many water heaters converted is because of the room needed for the flame.  I believe waste oil takes longer to burn and benefits from a larger burn chamber and a water heater just doesn't have the room.  Not saying it won't work, but maybe just not as efficiently as a boiler with a larger burn chamber.  I have no doubt the ckburner conversion will get you up and going.  Good luck and let us know how your project goes!

Tom Ferrier:
Hey Russ Thanks for the welcome and the thoughts on the water heater. I had some concerns about the length of flame is it possible to shorten the flame? I took a look into the firebox of the heater yesterday and I notice it is covered with ceramic fiberboard. If Icant tune the flame down enough I thought I might be able  to put in some good refractory. I guess either way I will have a burner ready to go and in the mean time I will keep my eyes open for a good boiler.

Tom Ferrier:
Hey Russ is there a specific length for the burner tube? I seem to recall reading 9" from the flange.

Russ:
Man, its been a while since I have had to recall that info so I cant say for sure.  I am sure the recommended length is hiding in a post somewhere out here, but I'm not exactly sure where.  If you can, adding a length of pipe to pull the burner away from the heater may help.  I had to do that to some extent with my shallow boiler:
http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=208.0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version