Fuel Delivery Styles > Drip System

Got a Drip?

<< < (2/2)

Wrench:
Thanks Russ. Yeah things definitely could have been alot worse. It's our winter-beater too, so not a real big deal. I've found that new parts will be pricey, but if I can find used parts I'll be golden. It's 26 years old now, so not alot of parts around here for it, as they've all rotted away to nothing.

WOW that must've been one hell of a mess! I can imagine. I've spilled my share of oil, but usually out in the driveway. What a pain cleaning all that up! As I scramble around looking for rags and paper towels, the river grows wider and longer with every second ...  ;D

I've had excellent results with Permatex Right Stuff. It will bond to anything - and I mean BOND! Even that brass valve I had mounted to the plastic bucket took a bit of force to remove, even though it was seeping a bit. This stuff is where it's at for oil resistance.

My first time using the stuff, I used it on an old Ford 5.0 plenum as a gasket. When I finished, I realized the next day that I had forgotten some vacuum lines. When I took the bolts out, I couldn't get the plenum off the lower intake manifold! I ended up having to use my cherry picker (engine hoist) to break the bond - and this was a mid 80's Mercury Grand Marquis -  not a small car by any stretch - and it nearly had both front wheels off the ground before it broke free! The stuff is unbelievable. 8)

It's also currently holding back quarts of oil in the vehicle my wife crashed. I did a pan gasket on it (in a hurry) a few years back, and botched one section - it leaked oil like a sieve. Put a layer of Right Stuff  on the outside of it, and no more leak! I was sold after that. It's a little expensive, and very thick stuff to work with, but it can't be beat for holding back oil, so long as the surface is CLEAN.

Russ:
Sounds like some good stuff.  Might have to get some just to have in the tool box.

Oilburner:

Drip Systems are my burners of choice although I prefer to call them Blown fuel because the units I built have a damn good flow, nothing like a drip.  I have built the Draft systems and they have their place but the forced air types with the oil fed into the air intake are by far my preferred system.

I have found and everything I have read with the draft types is that they need cleaning. The forced air types are self cleaning and to me, deliver more USEABLE heat than the draft types even for the same fuel consumption.  Forced air types are also easy to build and run totally clean unlike the draft types which need to be tuned pretty carefully. Getting a forced air or blown fuel type to run perfectly clean is pretty easy I find whether you are at high outputs or low.

With the forced air types I can control the fuel with a pump on a timer.  This allows a specific heat output and doesn't need re ajusting  to allow for the level in the fuel tank dropping or the oil becoming thinner and warmer etc.  It will do the same output all day long ( Ive tested it!) and no matter what the tank level or temp changes are.

I spose you could control a draft type burner like this but it would be tricky.

The biggest mistake I see people make with drip or vaporising type burners is they don't keep the principal of making sure the things stay hot in mid. Oil needs to change state from a Liquid to a gas in order to combust. To do that you want at least 300oC in the burner.   People seem to confuse the lack of retained heat for a lot of other things and then go off chasing the wrong problem, often compounding the difficulties they have.

I see in some interest groups like metal casting and Ceramics, Nozzle burners are very popular and thought to be the ducks guts. Always amazed me why this is. Some people are using a compressor, a blower and a fuel pump to make their spray burners work at a lower output than mine  but with far greater wear and tear on more support equipment and at way higher running cost.  I regularly run my Burners with a 12V fan from a car which means I can run them with that a fuel tank and a battery in the middle of a paddock with nothing else around for 10 miles.

I also notice that people that use nozzle burners have to go to a lot of work setting them up. It's easy to knock up a powerful forced air type burner in 15 Min out of scrap you have lying around and just by eyeballing it.  No expensive nozzles and endless fittings and you can carry what you need to run the thing in gym bag if need be.

Aww Geez! Do I have to take the forum entrance exam again every time I post???
that's going to get old very quick!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version