Author Topic: Now I'm not struggling with it....  (Read 16368 times)

Harry

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
Now I'm not struggling with it....
« on: March 01, 2010, 12:55:21 pm »
Referring you to my previous post and hoping the link works..

http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=81.msg326;topicseen#new

Now that this is working....

I was thinking that a good way to help improve both the burn efficency and the efficiency of heat extraction, might be to fit an 1/8" thick steel plate somewhere near the mid height of the combustion chamber (AKA the gas bottle). A steel plate of a little smaller diameter than the internal diameter of the chamber, with an hole in the centre  to allow the air inlet tube to fit through, perhaps dished so the edges are higher than the centre.

The idea is to force the flame out to the metal of the gas bottle, form a secondary burn chamber at the top and perhaps introduce a separate supply of air to the secondary chamber. Since resolving my earlier problem, I notice it is now producing a small amount of smoke and I thought this modification might resolve this.

Comments welcome on the likelihood of it working, if you please.

tightwad nik

• The fire has been lit!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Now I'm not struggling with it....
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 02:06:14 pm »
not following too well, draw us a picture   ;D

Harry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 05:43:57 pm »
not following too well, draw us a picture   ;D

Assuming that was serious and just for you, some more photos...

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/m1byt/stove/Picture6.jpg

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/m1byt/stove/Picture7.jpg

Shows what I have at the moment. If you imagine a bit of flat steel plate inside and mounted horizontally, but just above the burner access door -  so that the air inlet pipe can just pass through it at the centre, with a gap between the stove sides and the steel plate of say 1/2" and the steel plate dished slightly, so its edges were higher than its centre, so as to enhance the flow out towards the stoves walls.

Basically it separates the the stove into two compartments, one above the other with the steel plate.

We get all of the heat concentrated up against the stove walls and a secondary burn chamber.   

BRUPP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 10:20:48 am »
Give your baffle idea a go! I know from working with and modifing older wood/coal stoves that was the problem with them. I had an old barrel type wood heater in my garage and I installed a baffle in it to keep more of the heat and flame in the heater for a longer period on time, it burnt alot cleaner, hotter and longer on less fuel..

tightwad nik

• The fire has been lit!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 01:51:47 pm »
ah ha i see, if you could have the baffle like brupp says then you could harness the extra heat given off which would otherwise be wasted...

BRUPP

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 04:31:51 pm »
Another plus is with that as long as you do not decrease your chimney draft too much the heat that is kept in the burn chamber area will help vaporize your fuel, reguardless be it wood or oil.

BRUPP

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 10:13:01 am »
any new reports with your heater?