Author Topic: Reznor ra235 ignition issues.  (Read 19093 times)

fairbanksr6

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Reznor ra235 ignition issues.
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2020, 03:58:53 pm »
If by smoking outside the stack you mean like operating normal but smoky? Yes. Then after I let it burn for around 5 min enough to burn off the raw(I think) and tried to adjust the flame to eliminate the smoke or get it to burn cleaner it started shuttering and puffing smoke out of the stack where it shouldn't be. The baro damper and chamber inspection port.

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2020, 04:06:23 pm »
Sounds like you are still burning raw fuel off. Leave the settings at factory and let it run for much longer. Let it run for like 30 minutes and see if it clears up.

fairbanksr6

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2020, 04:14:54 pm »
Thank you again. One thing to note is that I can see the marks where the Airband and shutter WERE set at. (Almost 2 for both)

Would you advise setting to there assuming its closer knowing it came from a local auction?

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2020, 04:19:13 pm »
That is a small enough adjustment that should be fine.

fairbanksr6

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2020, 04:25:18 pm »
Also if you need me to upload pictures of anything I can do that.

fairbanksr6

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2020, 11:36:24 am »
So relit this AM seemed better on those Airband settings from the start. After about 5 min it started the smoke backfire again so I shut it down and need am just going to clean it out good. I can't smoke out my shop as I currently work in it. I did take 3 videos and uploaded at the link shared.

I ordered a tune up kit because it still won't start on its own which doesn't make sense. I have everything for ignition and it touches of really fast with the torch. The tune up kit is a nozzle, cathodes, gaskets and etc. I also ordered a new transformer although I'm not convinced mine is bad. The very first time I fired it up it lit right away. Got a carbon bridge and wouldn't relight. Cleaned it off and still nothing. At this point I'm thinking it has to be the ignition.

Oil is heating fine all the way to the gun. Shop has been above 55 all week and weekend.

There are 3 videos. Initial ignition, stack smoke initial, and video of raw fuel igniting and starting the shutter.
Initial ignition https://imgur.com/gallery/nYsvx0J

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2020, 09:47:20 pm »
I am not a parts thrower so I do not see that getting you anywhere. You need to get back to the simple basics and diagnose better.
Are the electrodes properly adjusted ?
When starts huffing and puffing what does it look like in the firebox ?
I could not tell in the video but is it over firing and throwing sparks ?

fairbanksr6

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2020, 10:16:00 pm »
Yes adjusted correctly. I'm not happy about the parts but that's what the guy wants to do next. I'll take a picture or video of the ignition minus oil of course with the burner out.

The electrodes are adjusted by the book via micrometer. Verified spark at transformer and electrode tips. Verified that it is being blown into a torch like tip(blueish 3/4"out)

Oil is being heated for 15 minutes minimum and verified heater cartridges are making cases hot to touch. Haven't verified pressure due to no adjustment no access to gauge. Can confirm that line is bled and oil flows. Have confirmed a mist like fog inside fire chamber on ignition attempt. Confirmed nozzle is clear and clean.

Cannot confirm air settings but it DOES seem to be overfiring although it ran cleanish for around 4-5 min. Cannot confirm draft but have the damper set to allow most draft from the heater. Damper does not swing.

It looks like a bon-fire when it starts to huff and puff.

It also does throw sparks around from what it seems.

Like stated I don't have the luxury of letting it burn off and smoke out my shop. I do believe that you are correct that it's burning raw and causing the smoke. I'm assuming that chokes the stack until it's over with. I have to open it up and clean it out good tomorrow(fairly easy with the massive clean out door)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 10:18:18 pm by fairbanksr6 »

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2020, 10:49:21 pm »
Everytime I do a burner rebuild I check spark on the bench since that is easier than using a mirror through the little door.
I would try the new nozzle first to see if there is any difference.
You may have to put a high altitude pump motor on to tame that flame down. It may be throwing so much oil out that it is not burning it all until the firebox gets hot then the excess catches on fire and it starts huffing and puffing.
Check out the pump motor to see if it is the original and if it is low altitude.

fairbanksr6

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2020, 11:05:21 pm »
I figured the new nozzle would be a decent first step as well. It gets here fri.

Pump looks original.... but that's a guess. I can pull numbers on it if there are any.

As far as I know it came from a local building that was sold at a local auction (should be set up for my alt). You know what assuming gets you though.

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2020, 11:21:42 pm »
Those tiny little pump motors are junk from like ice machines. With its age might be worth it to replace it with a high altitude one.

fairbanksr6

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2020, 12:20:33 am »
By pump motors I assume you mean the oil pump?

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2020, 08:17:06 am »
Yes, the oil pump motor. The sheet metal cover comes off and you will be able to see the motor and coupler behind the oil pump.

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2020, 08:42:00 pm »
Any updates ?

fairbanksr6

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2020, 08:43:52 am »
I haven't been back yet. Wife's birthday weekend and I was waiting on the new nozzle. I won't leave you out of the situation.