Author Topic: Reznor ra235 ignition issues.  (Read 19023 times)

fairbanksr6

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Reznor ra235 ignition issues.
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2020, 04:40:58 pm »
Ok update time. Ordered the tune up kit. New nozzle, new electrodes, and new transformer from building owner. Cleaned the firebox out.

Will post pictures to show adjustments (by the book)  and ignition flame.

Is my ignition good?
How much burn off should I expect from the firebox at this level of clean?

I'll wait to put it back together and attempt to light after any responses.

Pics and ignition video.
Updated https://imgur.com/gallery/XQFViuF

Draft video
Draft https://imgur.com/gallery/IEflLmV

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2020, 04:58:45 pm »
Spark looks good, it is shooting out past the nozzle and not arcing down to the nozzle or up to the retention head.

It sure is black in the firebox though and that one tube looks wet.

So now we need to figure out why we are running rich.

fairbanksr6

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2020, 05:22:57 pm »
Spark is healthy. Does not jump to anything else that I've seen in 3 cycles. Looks exactly like the video.

I was thinking that as well. You think I should worry about cleaning it and if yes do you have a good method? Brake cleaner, decreaser, soap? Brush ideas for getting in there. The tubes are 4in and 3 in respectively.

I'll upload the numbers on the pump. I tried finding the info on <3000 elevation pump and couldn't find much.
Oil pump https://imgur.com/gallery/pIM9BTv

Still not convinced it's not user error on the black box. I never pushed it more than twice before I manually lit or cleaned it out but.....I'm not sure I've cleaned it super great. I've never really cleaned it better than pictured and assumed it was "good enough". Also am lost to how to get it better other than way more time.  Used a scraper and a windshield brush. I've tried iso alcohol as I have a bunch on hand.

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2020, 05:28:59 pm »
You have it plenty clean and the rest will burn off once we get a proper flame.

We actually need a pic of the pump motor. They all use the same A pump head but different motors.

fairbanksr6

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2020, 05:40:55 pm »
Duh. Not sure why I didn't upload that. I assume this is the right picture.

Pump motor https://imgur.com/gallery/AepvnsL

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2020, 06:33:48 pm »
Ok, that would be a 0'-3,000' pump motor.

Another thing to check to make sure we are not missing anything would be air compressor pressure. I have a gauge, hose and T setup so I can just pull the hose going to the nozzle off the compressor and plug in.

fairbanksr6

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2020, 01:51:42 pm »
Ok all cleaned out. Let it try to light for 30sec and no go. Lit with torch instantly. Let burn for 37ish min. Smoke was med to faint haze and then cleaned up.

***Unit turned off on its own under thermostat temp.

Assuming because my Airband/ shutter and draft aren't adjusted.

Haven't gotten a Guage yet to measure compressor pressure. Place local is closed for turkey day.

Is it safe to assume the reason it won't light itself is too much air pressure or bad fuel(even though once it lights it runs fine)?

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2020, 10:38:53 pm »
Sounds like all the raw fuel is finally getting burnt off.

Does the flame look any better with the new nozzle ?

Is the combustion air blower wheel clean ?

It is highly unlikely you have to much compressed air since the older they get the less air they put out. The compressed air atomizes the oil so if air pressure is low you have poor atomization. You could have a fuel quality issue that needs the hotter flame to ignite it. Synthetics and heavier oils depending on the blend of the entire tank require more preheat to ignite. 

fairbanksr6

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2020, 11:08:41 pm »
Flame is for sure more directional obviously. Still seems way too much as it hits the target and kind of splashes off if that makes sense. Still has some sparks in it as well.

Is diesel suggested to eliminate the fuel theory? I could try to run directly from a 5 gal can? The blower wheel is dirty colored but all the find are free and clear.

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2020, 11:35:25 pm »
You could try adding some more combustion air to see if the flame pulls back. You are probably going to have to change the pump motor to get that flamed backed off.

I would not waste time with the diesel.

Crank up the thermostat and let it run more to see if anything changes.

fairbanksr6

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2020, 12:12:00 am »
I need to clarify that it shut itself off without reaching temp. It was 56⁰and got up to 70⁰ in 30min. Thermostat was on 88⁰.
Carlin ign controller was blinking red. I assume it overheated from too much draft.

I did try adjusting the shutter settings but didn't notice a change in flame length. I already have them set around 2 a piece.

Does the +3000' motor have higher or lower pressure?
And the big question is would that prevent it from lighting by itself?

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2020, 12:37:20 am »
If it overheated the fan would keep running but the power to the burner would be shut off. After it cools power would return to burner. So it could have failed to re-fire after cooling but we do not know for sure.

This is a metered pump so pressure remains the same but the volume changes. The 3,000+ will deliver less fuel. It could be throwing so much fuel out that is not atomized well leading to poor ignition by spark.

fairbanksr6

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2020, 04:52:26 pm »
So determined 250 gallons of bad oil. Rolled a different drum of used oil over and stuck the hose in and cleared all the lines and filter. Reprimed out off the different barrel and after 10 sec of rolling the remainder of bad oil out of the nozzle it fired right off. Really wish I would have checked all that first in hindsight.

From my previous experience with waste oil (had two at my last shop)  I have never seen it light period. It was really weird this lit with a torch even badly.

Next question is can the 250 gallons be saved somehow or do I call around to get it disposed of?

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2020, 05:13:06 pm »
I might have mentioned oil quality once or twice. Could be synthetic or heavier oils that need more preheat. The Reznors have poor preheating so they are more finicky with what type of oil is put in. You could try cutting it with good oil/diesel if you feel like screwing around with it.