Author Topic: Wanting to make an efficient burner  (Read 355 times)

B-Man

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
Wanting to make an efficient burner
« on: September 18, 2020, 04:59:30 am »
Hi guys,

I have a brake drum pot belly heater out in the shed and looking to run it on waste oil. Be it motor oil, cooking oil and everything inbetween.

I was hoping to have a drip system without any forced air but after running it I dont think im getting it hot enough as its quite smokey.

Am I able to run a drip system without forced air?

Im not 100% sure how to run it but if i run it slow theres a lack of flames and if I run it fast its a bit smokier.

Attached is my fireplace and burning pot

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: Wanting to make an efficient burner
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 10:47:56 pm »
I do believe you can get an efficient burn with a drip style and no forced air, although I have never done it before myself.  Check around the forum and see if you can gather some ideas on what might be causing your incomplete burn.  Good luck!

doug

• Can't stop the fire now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 08:11:30 pm »
 I too have not run this style burner. What I have seen in this style burner is less and smaller diameter holes in the primary burner. Also I have never seen this large of diameter holes in the secondary burner.

I found this video that may help. https://www.brilliantdiy.com/how-to-diy-make-a-stove-heater-that-basically-burns-all-kinds-of-waste-oil/2/
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 08:36:10 pm by doug »
You can't put it on the internet if it isn't true!

http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=102.0

B-Man

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 11:55:52 pm »
Yeah I just copied off an image I could find on the internet. So sizing is just a guess. I guess i got it wrong.

I have cut a piece of 4" pipe about 500mm tall and that will sit inside the second burner. That has no holes and have cut some grooves out of the bottom. Hoping I can tune the airflow by changing that around and create some better suction.

Will check out that video cheers.