Author Topic: Used Motor oil for heating 2  (Read 26048 times)

mentalvmaxrider

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Used Motor oil for heating 2
« on: November 06, 2009, 04:59:11 pm »
Hello all.I'm new to the forum,so please bear with me.I am building a waste oil burner from an aero(similar to beckett?).Anyhoo,Maybe you guys could provide me with some feedback on something.I am thinking about using an old hot water heater,dialed way down,for the storage tank with a pump to transfer the oil to a small tank that would mount right off the side of the oil pump.This small tank would heat the oil some more,then put a heater block between the nozzle.The reason for the hot water heater would be to get the oil thin enough to pump to the burner.These are of course not all my ideas,just a combination of some of the ones here,there and on my donna-mike plans.Yes,no.maybe?P.S.Hey Russ,got on the forum with my other computer no probs.Thanks for your help.
Thanks
Jeremy

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: Used Motor oil for heating 2
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 07:34:24 pm »
Glad to see you made it on the forum.  I split your message from the other topic so it wouldnt get mixed with the other topic.

About your questions, it sounds like there will be many different heating steps to your setup.  I have had good luck just heating the oil before it gets to the nozzle.  Keep in mind that my garage is always above freezing, which may not be the case with yours.  The pump seems to handle it fine, although warming it a little before the pump may be easier on the pump, I dont know?  There are probably some experts out here that can give you more suggestions.

Good luck on the heater.  Maybe we will have to start a board for motorcycle talk... ;)

Later...

Russ

mentalvmaxrider

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 08:50:07 pm »
Hehehehe......Fire up the bike in the shop and plumb the exhaust through a catalytic(yours already has one)..that'll heat 'er up.All kidding aside,thanks again Russ for the help getting on here.Yeah,my garage is very nipply,well below freezing before getting any heat on.i'm just afraid that the pump won't move -20 molasses oil.

snicks

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 05:02:03 pm »
Thats a bad Idea, Dont try it. The heaters in a water heater will break down after a short time and short out. Also if you ever get any oil that has a bit of gas in it is a big hazard. I seen a shop burn down trying your idea.
If you had gasy oil in a tank like that that. As it gets low it will start to vaperize (not a good deal).
 The best way to preheat the oil before the pump is a filter heater you can get thows in a 110V and also 220V and hook it up as close as possible to the pump i like the heater to rub on it my self. that will have warm oil ready for the pump and also enough heat to keep the pump warm enough so the unilt will start up. Some cases I have seen people put insolation around the filter heater and pump (that works also).

mentalvmaxrider

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 05:56:54 pm »
wow....it's been almost a year...I can't beleive how time flies.Anyhoo,what do you mean by the elements breaking down?I know guys who use a hot water tank/heater to heat to about 120f with no issues.not doubting what you say,just not sure what could actually break down as I think the elements are stainless steel?Also,as far as vaporizing goes,I was planning to run a breather system to the outdoors.Not sure,just kicking tires right now until I come up with a decent system.

tightwad nik

• The fire has been lit!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 11:22:20 am »
use a powersteering pump from a car , they pump cold oil very easily

mentalvmaxrider

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 09:50:36 am »
I thought about that,but my concern is that the pump and motor on the furnace burner may get over stressed trying to pump thick cold oil.My thoughts were to preheat the oil(above room temperature)in a hot water heater,maybe a heater on the pump and of course a nozzle heater???Does this sound like something that may work?Has anyone else tried a hot water heater with success or defeat??It's getting cold again so I gotta get somethin up and running soon....I guess.

techdif

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 11:50:29 pm »
Where I work we use the "hi performance" stainless water heater elements to heat glycol to somewhere north of 270f for our steam table.  I've been there 8.5 yrs now and the system has had very few problems.  The steam table has been there many many more years and sometimes they burn out and cool off just like in water.  With that being said I did accidentally short one out and that was terrible ugly.  I caused a dead short with the stem of my thermometer (back when I had to verify temp manually) and it did cause an anal loosening explosion with bright lights and copious amounts of smoke.  Cleared the lab and three offices for several hours lol!

Even having been through that if I had a pressure system that need a large quantity of heated oil I would still strongly consider a water heater.  But (he he he there's always a but) I would use a heater with only one element.  Install a sight glass or float to ensure the level was always a few inches above the element.  Also you mentioned 120f and a lot of people I've noticed are heating 160-200f and gasoline's spontaneous ignition temp is 536f ( http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2003/ShaniChristopher.shtml )so that should not be issue even with a considerable amount gas in your oil.  But gas's flash point (where it gives off combustable vapors) is way below 0f so I would do an open vent for the tank out side the building assuming your pump is providing full pressure to burner.  The pre heater would then be plenty hot with no pressure in the tank and proper wiring on a GFI circuit in the event of a short the power would be instantly cut.

Just some food for thought.  And no I am not an expert nor have I attempted this.  Let our gut be your guide! 
Ryan

'Look where you're going not where you've been"

Cmdr. Ron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 08:40:40 pm »
Thanks Techdif,
I just read your of adventure shorting the steam table
 (Used Motor oil for heating 2
« Reply #7 on: 09 January 2011)
I'm glad no one was hurt (BIG time).  Gotta tell ya thanks for the laugh.
Ya can't buy entertainment like this. ;D
- Ron
Shalom!
Cmdr. Ron

techdif

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 01:20:19 am »
Thanks Techdif,
I just read your of adventure shorting the steam table
 (Used Motor oil for heating 2
« Reply #7 on: 09 January 2011)
I'm glad no one was hurt (BIG time).  Gotta tell ya thanks for the laugh.
Ya can't buy entertainment like this. ;D
- Ron

I'm glad you enjoyed it, although it wasn't very funny at the time, it's hilarious in hind sight.
Ryan

Cmdr. Ron

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 10:05:51 pm »
O no, sir.  Thank you.

Lest any would wonder,
I know how to blow-up things by accident; I'm an electrician.
Shalom!
Cmdr. Ron

techdif

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 10:20:06 pm »
Oh yeah an electrician! I bet you do know how to have accidental explosions  ;D  A friend of mine was digging in a 480v panel once upon a time with a large flat screw driver. Well I'm sure can see where this heading, he shorted out the panel. Bright flash, big bang, and poof half his screw driver vaporized as the lights went out.... Then the fun starts! Poor ole Merv was crying and screeming like a little girl, oh God I'm blind, I'm blind.  The boss calmly lays a hand on shoulder and in a claming voice starts telling Merv everything is going to be ok.  This doesn't help Merv at all he is still spazzing. After a few seconds the boss yells at him to shut up.... we are all blind dips#$@ you killed the lights! Merv still blushes at that story today and the only injury was the poor old srew driver!
Ryan

Cmdr. Ron

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 02:51:41 am »
Once again, thanks go to Ryan fur a great grin  ;D
 . . . Wait a minute.  gotta tell my brother . . . and the neighbors . . . maybe the cat, too.
Shalom!
Cmdr. Ron