Author Topic: Types of oil  (Read 11538 times)

randy

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Types of oil
« on: March 07, 2019, 09:04:01 am »
I was burning used oil from diesel trucks and equipment and it burned very well with almost no problems. I switched over to oil from a Harley shop and now having trouble with it igniting. If i turn the air pressure down, i can get it to ignite and after it runs a few minutes, can turn pressure back up to 12psi and it will stay running. Next time it tries to fire, it wont go and go through the process again. I have put some diesel fuel in the oil to cut it, but doesnt seem to help. Ideas? Thanks in advance.

HT32B-SX115

• View Profile
Re: Types of oil
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 04:20:03 pm »
Howdy,

Welcome aboard!

What sort of oil "furnace" are you burning this oil in? (Pictures and model ?)

I have a Lanair HL-140 ( similar to the following https://www.purplewave.com/auction/101215/item/4835#!  )  in stock form and I haven't had any problem getting various oils to ignite.  I do allow both cartridge heaters to fully warm up (takes about 5-7 min or so)
Most of the oil I burn is from diesels but I recently I'm running 40-50wt aviation oil at about 25-50%

In my 200 gallon tank when it was about 85% full, I did dump in about 20 gallons of diesel but I have ran it on "straight" for several years.  I like putting a little diesel or Kerosene once in a while to offset the little bit of 90wt oil I occasionally get.

I have noticed that a burner like the Lanair, is very sensitive to igniter position with relation to the nozzle and temp of the oil "block"

Also, if the cartridge heaters are not hot enough, it won't reliably light.

Regards,

Rick

73/Rick
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No critters are harmed running my Lanair Oil Furnace except the ones that are inside when it fires!!   ;)

randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 06:23:24 am »
I am burning a Shenandoah Waste oil boiler. I have tried to cut Motorcycle oil with diesel, but doesnt seem to help.
Its weird, but if I open the boiler door and rub a rag over the nozzle and electrodes, when I close it, it will fire right up. Maybe needs new electrodes? Maybe nozzle size, using 30609 -8? Electrode adjustment? I tried to attach a picture, not sure if it worked.

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 10:59:04 am »
I am burning a Shenandoah Waste oil boiler. I have tried to cut Motorcycle oil with diesel, but doesnt seem to help.
Its weird, but if I open the boiler door and rub a rag over the nozzle and electrodes, when I close it, it will fire right up. Maybe needs new electrodes? Maybe nozzle size, using 30609 -8? Electrode adjustment? I tried to attach a picture, not sure if it worked.

What model is the boiler ? When was the last time a burner rebuild was done ?

randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 03:42:00 pm »
I am not sure of the model. I don't think burner has been rebuilt and 6-8 yrs old. Been thinking of having that done this summer. Tried posting some pictures, but says files are to big.

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 10:52:24 pm »
I am not sure of the model. I don't think burner has been rebuilt and 6-8 yrs old. Been thinking of having that done this summer. Tried posting some pictures, but says files are to big.

Email the pics to me and we will see what you got. cleanburn406@gmail.com

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 03:31:27 pm »
Looks like you have a Shenandoah burner put on a boiler that I have seen other mfg use. I would definitely due a burner rebuild and go with a 9-5 nozzle.

randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 08:02:50 pm »
Thanks for your input. I will get the rebuild done. Do I just ask for a 9-5 nozzle from a parts house?

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 09:00:32 pm »
Thanks for your input. I will get the rebuild done. Do I just ask for a 9-5 nozzle from a parts house?

There are places on Ebay that have nozzles for cheap. The nozzle holder o-rings should be replaced also. Inspect electrodes and replace as needed. Oil solenoid o-ring and possibly the plunger also replaced.

u1100l

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 10:48:54 am »
Motorcycles use synthetics. The flash point will be higher than the oil from the diesel shop. Try to blend but be aware of stratification in the tank.

HT32B-SX115

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 02:02:05 pm »
Try to blend but be aware of stratification in the tank.
that could be a problem if there was no mixing but don't most (or all) commercial waste oil burners recirculate some of the oil pumped to the burner back to the supply tank?

My Lanair when operating,  appears to return more than 50%% of the oil pumped to the low pressure regulator back to the tank resulting in constant mixing 

73/Rick
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No critters are harmed running my Lanair Oil Furnace except the ones that are inside when it fires!!   ;)

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 02:09:14 pm »
There will be no issues the oil and diesel will mix together.

u1100l

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 03:55:18 pm »
Try to blend but be aware of stratification in the tank.
that could be a problem if there was no mixing but don't most (or all) commercial waste oil burners recirculate some of the oil pumped to the burner back to the supply tank?

My Lanair when operating,  appears to return more than 50%% of the oil pumped to the low pressure regulator back to the tank resulting in constant mixing

I've seen in cases that is not enough to take care of stratification. If the tank is in a cold place makes it even worse.

Shut unit down for the night for instance. Sometimes you must have to burn through that layer in the morning.

Oilburner

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 07:05:38 am »

My guess is it comes down to the oil itself.
Diesel oil is lighter than regular engine oil.  Trying to think with diesel is chasing ones tail as diesel is not that thin itself.
A far better thinner is Kero or turps.  Much lower viscosity even though diesel seems pretty thin in comparison.
I do not recommend petrol as the vapors can fill a tank and have undesirable results.

One solution may be to take a leaf out of the Veg oil Vehicle book.  Add a second small start up tank with thinned oil or Diesel and fire the burner up on that. Once it has a bit of heat, change over to the regular fuel oil.

As far as stratification goes, I have never seen it in properly mixed oils.  I have done tests in fridges and freezers and never seen it but there are many types of oil and I don't know what the long term effects are if one lives in some frozen winter hell hole.

May people take blending to be like trying to mix oil and water but it's not. There is no reason on a molecular level that the oils will separate but particles certainly could.
Depending on the oil used, any dissolved water can cause problems.  nit usualy a problem with mineral oils/ Fuels but certainly can be an issue with veg oil.