Author Topic: New user from the PNW  (Read 5490 times)

HT32B-SX115

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
New user from the PNW
« on: January 30, 2019, 11:24:47 pm »
Howdy all from the great Upper Left Coast!

I've been burning waste oil for more than 20 years, starting out with a Lanair CA-100 acquired, rebuilt and operated for about 3 or 4 years.  I stored it for another 5 years and sold it about 10 years ago when I  found a fairly nice condition Lanair HL-140 on Craigslist which I still have and operate every winter in my aircraft hanger.

I have a lot of experience running this one and would love to talk to others with Lanair (or similar)  furnaces to compare notes!

Stay warm!

Rick
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 09:13:51 pm by Russ »

73/Rick
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No critters are harmed running my Lanair Oil Furnace except the ones that are inside when it fires!!   ;)

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: New user from the PNW
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 09:13:22 pm »
Howdy Rick!  Glad you stopped by.  It definitely sounds like you have some experience burning waste oil.  I dont have any experience with commercial heaters, but I know there are some people out here that do.  Enjoy the forum, stay warm and stay safe!

Enjoy!

Russ

HT32B-SX115

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
Re: New user from the PNW
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 03:40:17 pm »
Hi Russ,

Thanks!

I do have some experience getting these things to operate....Even the Lanair Cust Support people were surprised I was able to get a CA-100 working properly and keep it going!   (It's really not rocket-science though!)

I am lucky to have a fairly stable supply of oil from my neighbors (I actually live on a residential airpark) who like changing their own oil in their vehicles, tractors/lawn equipment, boats and airplanes! 

I discourage people from bringing me the oil though.....I really don't want anyone "dropping" oil containers at my hanger!(what a mess that would make huh?)

I actually have a John Deere Gator and I  drag a little 4x8 trailer around the neighborhood with a 30gal drum in the back.  Keeps me in good graces with the neighbors and gives them an easy way to get rid their used oil, and I do all the pouring!

We're not getting all that much cold weather here in the PNW this year (although temps in the teens are forecast next week)

I usually don't burn more than about 100-150 gallons per year.  Now that I have retired, I'll probably be spending more time out in the hanger and will probably have to scrounge more oil.  (one of my neighbors had a local heavy equipment business and has offered his used oil for me to come and get anytime I want it.  So we'll see how that goes!  He probably produces another 200-300 gallons per year......

I did see a thread here someplace where people were talking about oil transfer pumps.  I am using an ARO air powered pump I bought on eBay a couple of years ago.  I think it was about $180 used and was in pretty good shape.  There are some problems with certain pumps though because of the material they use for the diaphragms and check balls.  For example, Santoprene swells when exposed to certain liquids (like oil!!)

Anyway, I hope there's a lot of people that would like to discuss Lanair and other type compressed-air atomization burners.

73/Rick
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No critters are harmed running my Lanair Oil Furnace except the ones that are inside when it fires!!   ;)