Author Topic: Building a metering pump  (Read 34408 times)

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: Building a metering pump
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 10:14:37 pm »
I finally had time to put the pieces together last weekend.  I wasnt sure how to mount the motor and pump so the shafts would line up for the couplers.  The only thing I could think of was to attach pieces of wood together with a thickness of the distance required between the pump and the motor.  3 pieces of plastic decking I had laying around plus a piece of 1/4" plywood did the job.  I used a drill press to get a perfect aligned hole all the way through the block.  Then I used a hole saw to make a perfect size hole for the pump.  I didnt have a size that matched the motor, so I had to go a little bigger on that side.  I fastened the pump first, then aligned the motor and fastened it.  In the end, it actually worked out pretty well.  I am testing right now, but will hopefully attach it to the burner soon.

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 10:03:53 pm »
Well the 3GN18SA gearhead ended up being too slow.  The 18:1 ratio is just too slow to provide enough oil.  I ended up finding a 3GN3KA gearhead and it is working great.  Added another $30 to my cost, but hopefully I can sell the other one.

doug

• Can't stop the fire now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 08:41:10 pm »
Russ,

Are you using your pump yet?
You can't put it on the internet if it isn't true!

http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=102.0

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 09:10:06 pm »
I dont actually have it connected to the burner yet.  It is sucking oil out of a 55 gal barrel and pumping it through a couple of filters and then into the holding tank for the boiler.

I think this gearhead is going to work perfect, so I hope to get it moved over soon.

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2024, 07:13:30 pm »
Just an update that is long overdue.  I have been using the pump for several years now with great success.  It is super handy to be able to adjust the RPM of the motor to adjust the fire rate.  Highly recommended.