Author Topic: Pre heat used canola/motor oil/hydrocarbon thinners  (Read 9220 times)

UPSMAN

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
Pre heat used canola/motor oil/hydrocarbon thinners
« on: January 03, 2019, 06:04:39 pm »
I will be using a 5 gallon hydraulic resv box as my supply source, heated with silcone pads 300 watts total and a 1500 watt water heater element dialed back to likely 300. I will be pulling oil with a single pipe system thru the water heater element fitting. Now do any of you guys stir your prime tanks to get the heat distributed better or just let em heat? Thanks for your thoughts. My mix will be primarily used veg oil, splash of diesel and another hydrocarbon. Gets to minus 20 C without starting the shop furnace.
If it ain't burning then its not hot enuff!!

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: Pre heat used canola/motor oil/hydrocarbon thinners
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 05:39:35 pm »
Sounds like you have a nice heating system designed UPSMAN.  I cant comment as I don't heat the oil in my holding tank.  The temp is always above freezing because of backup electric heat, so the nozzle heater does all of the work.  I do see where temps of minus 20C could cause problems if the oil isn't preheated.  Maybe others will have some opinions as well.  Good luck with your project!

UPSMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 03:37:41 pm »
Well it has been a tough weekend, may things went wrong. I burnt about 4 galls of wvo and since the on tank is poly I cannot use a heater nor can I stir it so what I have don is use an air pump and stone and hopefully it will keep the mix holding together. I cannot afford a CK kit as I am on a disability so I do what I can. Been thinking about using a propane start for the first burn of the day, putting a nozzle in th air tub. I an an RV Propan tech so I hav a fw parts laying around. Look forward to hearing what others are doing or experiencing,, Larry  -22c HERE TONIGHT.

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 08:54:24 pm »
Wow, getting cold for sure!  So if you arent using a CK kit, what are you using?  Pressure system?

UPSMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 02:00:10 pm »
Yes it is a pressure system, pump at 105 lbs, oil thinned to 80/20 or 70/30. At the moment no heat to the oil but that will change as I have scrounged some parts. What are you guys doing to vent your storage tanks? I have to deal with this because of the hydrocarbon thinner I am using. Thought of running a pipe to the attic of the garage but maybe there is a better way? I have to pull the burner soon and clean it as it is getting harder to light in the cold. I have so much on the go and so little time and money but we do what we can eh!

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 11:01:43 pm »
I started out with a pressure system as well.  Thankfully I had a friend that was able to make a heater block for it.  It was a little tricky to get started, but when it did, it really threw out the heat.  Eventually I got tired of the hard starting and moved to a siphon CK kit.  It certainly is the way to go, but yes, it involves more than just the CK kit (constant level tank or meter pump, compressed air source, etc...) which all cost money and it can add up quick.

I have never had to vent my holding tanks, so I don't really have any suggestions on how to handle that.  Good luck with your project!