Author Topic: Looking for oil filter housing with bypass and indicator  (Read 9561 times)

midnx

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Looking for oil filter housing with bypass and indicator
« on: October 14, 2018, 10:57:01 pm »
I'd like to run 2 spin on oil filters in series, each one having a bypass and indicator that uses a cheap and common oil filter.
Does anyone have any recommendations?

acarter

• View Profile
Re: Looking for oil filter housing with bypass and indicator
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 07:43:53 am »
Take two filter heads/ bases that accept cheap hydraulic filters of your choice, then just take some iron pipe with a few ball valves and T's and you could have the option between either filter and/ or a bypass pipe with no filter.

As far as the indicator, depending on what you intend to use it for you could either use a vacuum gauge or a pressure gauge before or after the filter rack. For example, if you are using this in your suction line to your boiler/ furnace then you would need a vacuum gauge after the filters. But, if it's being used for a transfer pump then a pressure gauge before the filters would fit the bill. It would be a trial and error process to learn what pressure/ vacuum was your stopping point, you would have a starting number with a new filter and then have to decide what flow rate you could accept (how clogged you let the filter get).

An example of a filter head...
https://www.zoro.com/baldwin-filters-hydraulic-filter-base-base-ob1314-ob1314/i/G7607336/feature-product?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9ZDeBRD9ARIsAMbAmoaIWyW6JuuMI27Y4y84JkLP6U-xTY_v2v3uvfuVmtoBgzB_4dvyq2waApM0EALw_wcB

« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 07:49:36 am by acarter »

midnx

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 08:27:10 am »
Maybe I should clairify  :( . I mean that the filter housing should have an automatic bypass valve built in, and something to visually tell me the housing has tripped into bypass mode. Like the parker tell tale housing shown here
https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/files/hydraulics/448454d1448512464-filter-bypass-indicator-question-img_2851-jpg
except it shold be a spin on like the one you showed. Yes I can rig a bunch of ball valves and differential pressure gauges, to accomplsish the same effect, but I wanted it automatic and built in.

midnx

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 09:09:12 am »
Something pretty much like this:
https://www.zoro.com/baldwin-filters-hyd-filter-base-baseindicator-ob8712-ob8712/i/G5540805/#specifications
I was hoping to find one that used a very common filter that was frequrently repaced by some sort of periodic maintence (like in avaition, or fleet service) where I could score used ones for free that still had some life left, and then use them till they clogged up, (shown by the indicator) The second inline filter would still filter the oil when the first clogs and goes into bypass giving me an inerval to be able to see it and change it out. The other easier question is what miminum level of filteration is needed (ideal) in microns for the burner to work properly?

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 09:56:42 am »
Go with a Lenz filter then you never have to buy another filter again. They are stainless steel washables and last forever.

midnx

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 10:04:23 am »
I like the idea of a reusable filter, but I'm not keen on having to disassemble the thing, I don't know when it is becoming clogged, and I don't know if a reusable stainless mesh filter can filter out as fine as a particulate as needed. Does that housing have a bypass feature?

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 10:20:47 am »
This is what comes with new Clean Burn heaters and I have been using them for 27 years with zero issues. We put them on the suction side to help protect the pump in conjunction with a stainless steel pickup screen. There are ports to install a vacuum gauge so when it starts pulling 10" clean it. If you go to Lenz website you can see all the different options.