Author Topic: Preheater block cleaning, Clean Burn  (Read 8933 times)

acarter

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
Preheater block cleaning, Clean Burn
« on: August 15, 2018, 07:43:50 am »
Hello,

I have a Clean Burn CB4000, from the early 1990's. I was wondering if anyone knows the procedure to clean the preheater block? I just got the unit last year and had a pretty successful first season, but every now and then my nozzle would get clogged, so I'm blaming it on carbon build up in the preheater block. Considering the unit is over 20 years old and I don't know it's history I'm thinking it would be a good idea to clean the preheater, I can't seem to find any info on this site or anywhere else, I know it needs to be soaked in something, but not sure what.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Austin

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Preheater block cleaning, Clean Burn
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 11:26:30 am »
Remove the heating elements and all plugs. Make sure you heat up the plugs first to make removal much easier. Then solvent and gun cleaning brushes. Make sure to get all passages/nooks/crannies spotless before putting it back together. Use a medium strength thread-locker on the plugs/heating elements tighten till snug.

acarter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 05:43:43 pm »
Thanks!

acarter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 10:00:06 am »
Took it all apart and soaked the whole block in gas for about a week, then cleaned it with some gun cleaning tools... turned out pretty good. Going to be firing it up in about a month so I guess I'll have to wait to find out if my wires are all back together correctly :-)

Tullison

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 08:55:11 am »
Is it supposed to sit in gas for that long btw? Or is a week necessary only when it's particularly dirty or something?

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 11:46:56 am »
Is it supposed to sit in gas for that long btw? Or is a week necessary only when it's particularly dirty or something?

When I do burner rebuilds I use solvent and a ultrasonic cleaner. Before I got the ultrasonic cleaner I used just straight solvent and gun cleaning brushes. I would just get after it until clean. I do not like to use gas due to flammability issues.