Author Topic: Hello and thank you for letting me join!  (Read 11337 times)

itstheburns327

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hello and thank you for letting me join!
« on: March 24, 2018, 03:27:56 pm »
Hi everyone! Thank you for letting me join this community! I look forward to spending some time reading and learning about converting my oil furnace. I have messed with building my own waste oil burners in the past but I was not happy with the results. I understand the reasons for adding the measures to keep out spam. I'd rather deal with enhanced CAPTCHA vs garbage posts.

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: Hello and thank you for letting me join!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 05:59:50 pm »
Greetings itstheburns327!

Glad you were able to get past the anti spam measures  :D.

What kind of heater are you looking to build?  A converted home heating oil boiler is my favorite, but there are many was of doing it.

Best of luck with your project!

Russ

itstheburns327

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 08:39:46 pm »
Thanks, Russ!! I've been looking at the ckburners kit on ebay and his website. I've basically picked it apart and was able to locate most of the stuff to get the conversion started. I have a 160k btu hot air furnace I bought on craigslist for my shop. i run it now with 85/15 diesel/waste oil (i know its not a good idea, but its working). I dont use it regularly this way, only when I'm out there.

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 09:45:17 pm »
The CK kit is what I run in my boiler.  Its a great kit!  Hey, as long as the diesel keeps the waste oil thin enough to still create a good spray and burn properly, I dont see any harm in what you are doing.  The CK kit will just help you get straight waste oil thin enough to atomize and burn properly.  It sounds like you are on your way to burning 100% waste oil!

itstheburns327

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 11:07:51 pm »
Thanks, Russ! How is the maintenance life of the ck kit? Is it safe to assume at least twice a year? Maybe more if the oil quality is not so great? The mixing of diesel and waste oil works well, except when its cold. The burner has a hard time starting and likes to trip out on safety. I have a stockpile of wmo and get it regularly. I work on golf carts so there is no shortage of motor oil, haha. I'm really excited to start working on this system to work on pretty much any oil! I will post photos of my progress once I can get all my ducks in a row. Thanks again!

Nubs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 07:52:58 am »
I have used 2 CK kits now and I like them a lot, all waste oil burners need cleaning a few times a season. I mounted my burner into a door so it's 5 mins to clean up head etc.
We work on more than a few golf carts as well, we build and sell 3 or 4 EZGO 4cycle engines a month. A lot of older Harley carts, seems to be many around these parts yet.

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 12:38:15 pm »
Just as Nubs said, all waste oil burners need cleaning a few times a year.  As for the CK kit its self, the only thing I have ever done to it is remove the nozzle and clean it.  I guess I did have to replace an o-ring one time, but other than that, the kit is very low maintenance.  Cleaning junk off the head and removing ash from the burn chamber is something I have to do a few times a year, but other than that, the system really works well.

Nubs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 02:20:59 pm »
My furnace has burned 1,670 gals so far this season, i have cleaned the nozzle and replaced o-rings 3 times.   
 fly ash is all i have blown out a time er two, i'm yet to filter a drop. just let the totes settle for 3 or 4 months and pump them out leaving about 20gals in the bottom. my unit burns a wide variety of differnt oil as 80% of it comes from local recycling centers. WVO, drian oil, hydraulic, synthetic and i've even seen some oil based stain get dumped into there tanks.
It took some tweaking to get it dailed in as far as nozzle size, air pressure etc but now its a set it and forget deal. in the cold months it does not shut down for days at a time.
I use a thermostat for a jet heater to control the temp once the shop and stored oil is warm.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 02:26:43 pm by Nubs »

Nubs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 06:54:02 pm »
I'm starting to think i'm chasing people away when i post Lol... I do burn a crazy amount of oil so maybe some think i'm blowin' smoke up there stack.

doug

• Can't stop the fire now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 06:49:52 pm »
  40' x 70' with 16' ceilings is no small building. The wall I see is not insulated. Who knows if the ceiling and other walls are insulated. The heater sets in a corner of the building and don't forget about the 3 overhead doors. Maybe 1600 gallons is about right.
You can't put it on the internet if it isn't true!

http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=102.0

Nubs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 05:39:55 pm »
That is a interior wall in that picture, all the walls and ceiling are covered in 4" foam board.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 03:37:02 pm by Nubs »