Author Topic: New and have questions!  (Read 9234 times)

Tbggyoutube

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
New and have questions!
« on: March 12, 2018, 09:25:44 pm »
Hello everyone im new on here and to oil burners. I right now heat with wood its alot of work to get ready for winter and it really down heat alot unless u pay for really good wood. My plan was to build a bigger wood burner that will have pipes and a fan to push some major heat. Well heres the thing im hearing is a waste motor oil burn would put out more heat. Since i already work on cars and have 14 gallons of used oil why not make a wood/oil burner! I dont want any electric spraying style oil burn just a gravity drip oil heater how can i make 1 cheap? I can weld and fab just need some kind of plan! Here is a pic of what i want to turn into a wood oil burner.

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: New and have questions!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 09:31:32 pm »
Sounds like a plan Tbggyoutube, turn some of that oil into heat!  I don't have any good info to contribute to building a drip system, but browse around the forum and I think there are a few threads with some nice drip systems.

Best of luck with your project and stay safe!

Russ

Tbggyoutube

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 05:53:29 pm »
The problem is that i dont want to use any power just what ever air that could be drawn through. Here is the idea of what im thinking to build with some 2.5 or 3 inch air intake on the bottom. My barrel stove sucks alot of air and sounds like a train so it will pull some real air.

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 08:00:17 pm »
For sure, thats the beauty of a drip system, no power required!

Check out some of the threads here:
http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?board=12.0

and here:
http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?board=5.0

Maybe you can get some ideas from others that have gone down this road before.

Good luck!

Tbggyoutube

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 08:13:16 pm »
Ya been through most of them didnt see anything like i want.

doug

• Can't stop the fire now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 06:50:14 pm »
 I don't see where using no electric is a problem. There's a lot of drip heater that don't use power.

Are you wanting to build a heater similar to this style?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYxtNRKj1Es&list=PLuex1gs8VmeOv6Pk-BAyxh0iuRzBWzPyT
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 08:12:24 pm by doug »
You can't put it on the internet if it isn't true!

http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=102.0

koolkris

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - koolistdude
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 08:05:23 am »
a drip stove with oil tank so close as in your picture will be hard to control, as oil gets warmer it will flow faster, i would think you would want oil reservoir further away from heater to try and get more of controllable flow and not affected by rising temps of the heater

Oilburner

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 01:20:31 am »

Exactly what I was going to say.
If the stove puts out any heat you are setting yourself up for a runaway.

I suggest putting the oil resivour far away, high as possible and make the tank as large as possible.

The head height of the oil will make a big difference so you want it high to make the oil level as small an influence as possible by getting it high to start with. Same with large tank.  The level will be more stable and so will the output.
You do not want to be adjusting the thing every 5 Min because 5 min burning changes the oil level 10% or whatever.

The best way of all to do this is use some sort of float bowl like in a carburettor. By putting in the intermediate resivour/ control, the oil level would always be the same.
Don't underestimate how much this affects the burn nor the thinning of the oil through warming up. It makes a big difference

An easy way to get flow control would be to have the oil come from the main tank into a secondary lower one.
The lower resivour could be an old jam  tin with an outlet on the bottom going to the burner and another half way up going to a catch tank.  You have the oil slightly overflowing into the catch tank which means the oil going to the burner is always the same height.

As for air, make a pot burner style with holes that direct the air down to the oil pool and a mixing flue in the centre.
I have built these and they Kick out a huge amount of heat.
You'll have to pay attention to airflow within the tank you are using it in though.

The best way to get max heat radiation would be to take the flue from the burner to the top of the tank and have the flue out of the tank half way or more down.  That will give the best surface area for the heat to radiate from.
I did this with one of my drum burners and the heat the thing radiated was insane.  Putting the flue at the top just makes the heat go straight out without doing much. making it travel around and giving an area of hot air to impinge the tank walls and radiate from there will make a world of difference.

Also where you install the thing, make the flue run as far as you can before it exits the building if you are heating a shed or something. Ducting the flue straight out is illogical.  It carrys so much heat with it you want to give the flue the longest path possible to give that heat up.

I'm going to put a burner in my shed and the heater will be at the back and the flue will exit the front and I'll have a fan blowing along it to take as much heat out as possible.