Author Topic: Collecting/Transporting Drain oil  (Read 17312 times)

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Collecting/Transporting Drain oil
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2019, 10:43:42 am »
There is a big difference between waste vegetable oil and waste petroleum based oil. With petroleum based oils you will have ash. The ash will be very fine powder like drywall dust and should be white to tan in color.

When commenting people need to clarify between the type oil and if they are using it for heat or fuel for your vehicle.

u1100l

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2019, 10:55:11 am »
OK what did I miss?

Oilburner

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2019, 02:43:15 am »

There is a big difference between waste vegetable oil and waste petroleum based oil.

No, sorry, when burnt properly and completely in burners there is no difference except WMO produces a bit more Ash than WVO but essentialy there is no difference at all.... IF burned properly and completely.

With petroleum based oils you will have ash. The ash will be very fine powder like drywall dust and should be white to tan in color.

The ash, If burned completely, is no different with mineral oil or with Veg oil. I can't actually thing of ash from anything not being grey-white  Wood, coal, Plastic....

If you do not burn something completely you can get residues but both Veg and mineral oil produce black carbonaceous material in the mid phase before it is burned completely and turned to ash.
This is a problem with draft type burners as they only get the oil hot enough to burn off the surface vapors and once the lighter fractions have been consumed there is insufficient heat to burn off the left over carbon. this is why those burners need cleaning where the forced air type with an oxygen rich atmosphere and much turbulence of the flame front resulting in the burn chamber running at hotter temps burn off all the residuals.

When commenting people need to clarify between the type oil and if they are using it for heat or fuel for your vehicle.

Given i'm the only one I can see mentioned a Vehicle, I take it that comment was directed at yours Truly.
Seemed clear enough to me I was talking about burners and only made a comparison to vehicles.
In any case, there is NO difference.

Have poor combustion in a burner, you'll soot it up. Run it clean, no deposits and maybe minimal ash if you have poor drafting in the flue or minimal turbulence in the burn chamber. From what I have seen of commercial gun type burners they run minimal excess air for efficiency ( not heating excess air) but this does not bode well for removing deposts.

If you have poor combustion in an engine on WVO or WMO or even Diesel, you will get buildup and deposits which will build up on the ring lands, stop the rings expanding and it's a fast demise from there.
With clean combustion there is no problem. The fuel is burnt in suspension as it should be completely and the ash is exhausted.  Over fueling, ( rolling coal/ Smoking) is incomplete combustion. On diesel which has virtually zero ash production, it's not so much of a problem unless the engine is driven for long periods over fueled. With WVO or WMO, it's a BIG problem.

There is a way around it though in a vehicle at least, Water injection.
Have been using this over 10 years and put many others onto it and there is no question of it's effectiveness.  It basically steam cleans the engine internals and dislodges any buildup and prevents any happening.  Any deposits are exhausted out the tail pipe and it is my belief that even the tail pipe itself is cleaned out due to performance increases remaining even after WI is no longer being used ( dry water tank) .

It does not need to be sprayed into a Diesel in Micro fine droplets, even a rough stream up the inlet tract a ways will disperse itself Sufficiently and flash to steam in the combustion chambers. This is actually a form of cavitation and is useful in the cleaning process. I believe droplets for CLEANING purposes are more effective than vapor like mists.
In a vehicle Methanol not only adds significantly to the power output but the cleaning effect of WI.

There is no reason why WI would not work in some Burners depending on the setup.  Given the " Tuneability" of a burner and the fact it is usually running at one output, the better solution would be to correct the incomplete burning in the first place. Any deposits are a sign of inefficiency and wasted fuel.
Depending on the burner, an injection of water into the combustion chamber will have the same steam cleaning effect.  This is/was used in ships that burned bunker oil to fire steam boilers and it is used in piston engines to keep them clean.
In steam boilers the water is injected to keep deposits off the steam tubes and the internal passages clear. The oil they burn has a LOAD of ash content so is far more prone to leaving deposits as it is harder to get perfect combustion and good efficiency at the firing rates they use. 

While I have not tried WI in burners/ boilers, my thoughts are that any deposits removed will not be burnt ( NO, water does not separate into oxygen and hydrogen and burn unless it is introduced to the sort of heat found in a Nuclear Fuel fire) but merely dislodged or suspended and WILL end up somewhere.  Wether that is out of the burn chamber but somewhere in the flue or wether it is ejected from the flue completely would be the question and again depend greatly on the turbulence and speed of the exhaust gas stream from the burner/ boiler and it's stack temperature. Certainly if the temp in any part of the Flue, particularly the boundary layer was below about `120oC, I would expect to see deposits of material.
That in itself may not be a big concern as nearly all Chimneys need cleaning and if the interval is infrequent enough and the cleaning quick and easy enough, why worry?

The only thing coming out of a Burner should be the white/ grey ash no matter what fuel it is burning.
if there is any black/ soot, the thing is not running properly.

u1100l

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2019, 02:24:43 pm »
Alright, alot here for constructive critisim to say the least.

Need photos way to much and all over the place.