Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Collecting/Transporting Drain oil  (Read 503 times)

Nubs

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
Collecting/Transporting Drain oil
« on: March 12, 2018, 06:00:52 pm »
Just wondering what people are using, I burn around 1,500 gals a winter so I'm always on the hunt in the summer. I'm going to try to post some pics over the next few days of what i am working with.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 07:42:02 pm by Nubs »

Russ

• Administrator
  • Can't stop the fire now!
    • View Profile
Re: Collecting/Transporting Drain oil
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 09:28:41 pm »
I dont burn anywhere near that amount, so I transport in small, easy to handle containers.  I have a collection of 15 gallon containers spread out around the area.  I try to swap the full ones out with empties during the summer.  Sometimes I run into 30 or 55 gallon barrels, but I don't have equipment to handle them, so I usually end up pumping into smaller containers.

Oilburner

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 07:59:16 am »
1500 gal is almost 6000L.
I never cease to be amazed at how much fuel some people go through.

To put it in other terms, if you conservatively say that oil has 10.5 Kw/ L, burning 6000L yields an energy output of 63000Kw.
Have you thought about closing your doors in winter??  :0)

If you were buying that in electricity at the middle of the road rate I pay, that would cost you a solid $22,000 to heat your home for..... 3-5? months?

With that sort of volume, the only readily available container I can think of which is cheap and can be used for transport or storage is an IBC.  They are 275?  gallon, 1000L for the modern world, and can be forked for easy loading and stacking.
I had 6 of them at home for my veg oil to settle and store the finished processed oil. Of course the 6 of them gave me enough fuel to run 2 vehicles for over a year and fuel to spare for travelers and friends.

How long is your winter?
I'd love to work out how much KW worth of heat you are going through a day!

philly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 01:28:07 pm »
Hi nubs,
I bought a small tanker from a farmer that he used to bring his milk to the processors. Its stainless steel and holds about 80 / 100 gallons. Ideally I would like to get my hands on a proper oil bowser with a bigger capacity.

Nubs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 04:17:21 am »
1500 gal is almost 6000L.
I never cease to be amazed at how much fuel some people go through.

To put it in other terms, if you conservatively say that oil has 10.5 Kw/ L, burning 6000L yields an energy output of 63000Kw.
Have you thought about closing your doors in winter??  :0)

If you were buying that in electricity at the middle of the road rate I pay, that would cost you a solid $22,000 to heat your home for..... 3-5? months?

With that sort of volume, the only readily available container I can think of which is cheap and can be used for transport or storage is an IBC.  They are 275?  gallon, 1000L for the modern world, and can be forked for easy loading and stacking.
I had 6 of them at home for my veg oil to settle and store the finished processed oil. Of course the 6 of them gave me enough fuel to run 2 vehicles for over a year and fuel to spare for travelers and friends.

How long is your winter?
I'd love to work out how much KW worth of heat you are going through a day!

We heat from October to April with many days below 25 degrees and a hand full below 0. The shop is 40 x 70 with 16 foot valuated ceilings, sky lights and 3 overhead doors.   

Nubs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 04:22:42 am »
Hi nubs,
I bought a small tanker from a farmer that he used to bring his milk to the processors. Its stainless steel and holds about 80 / 100 gallons. Ideally I would like to get my hands on a proper oil bowser with a bigger capacity.

I will post some pictures later today of what i have used for the last few yrs with good results.

Nubs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 06:35:39 pm »
I have used this setup for a few yrs now that's simple and cheap to build, will pump around 8 gals a minute at 40 degrees and 12 gals at 80. just a hand style oil/fuel transfer pump driven by a 3hp engine with a gear reduction, can set the valves to either pump into the tank or from or bypass the tank and use to transfer from one container to another. 250gal fuel tank laid on its side.
Made a funnel so it can dropped off at the recycling centers for those that like to self serve.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 06:41:26 pm by Nubs »