Author Topic: Just wanted to introduce myself  (Read 6497 times)

Ron

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Just wanted to introduce myself
« on: February 19, 2018, 03:40:05 am »
Hello, my name is Ron, I've been wanting to build me a waste oil burner for about 10 years now to heat my workshop and one to fire my forge and foundry furnace. One of my neighbors gave me an oil burning furnace when he replaced it with natural gas. Well I just hooked up the oil burner to make sure it does, now it's time to convert it to my forge so i can get back to pounding red hot iron.
I have a really big cast iron coal stove I plan on running off waste motor oil, but in a few weeks I won't need heat, so I'll focus on my forge and foundry. I have seen a few burners that do what I plan to do, altho I'm going to mix waste oil with kerosene, I try to do everything on as small of a budget as possible, I have always lived my life making everything myself, I only buy it if I can't make or fix it, there are a few things that if I can't make it or afford to buy it I don't need it, I have a machine shop so I can fabricate just about anything.

Thanks for having me, I hope not only to learn a few things but to share a bit of what I know. Again Thank ya for having me.
Ron

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: Just wanted to introduce myself
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 10:22:10 pm »
Greetings Ron!  Thanks for stopping by.  We have a small community here, but it seems to grow every year.  Great story you have and I like the fact that you make all that you can.  That should prove to be very helpful in your waste oil heater project.  Are you from the states?

Have fun and stay safe!

Russ

Ron

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 08:26:05 pm »
Yes I'm from South western Ohio, I was a machinist for almost 18 years before being forced to give it up because of health problems, so for the past 17 years I have built a foundry and a forge, I burned propane for years, now i just can't afford it so I'm switching to used motor oil and kerosene.
At the moment I am trying to get  my forge going first, I'm hoping to get my oil burner and pump mounted tomorrow, I had to move it in about 3 inches from where it was, if it works I'll share it with ya's
Thanks again,
Ron

Nubs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 05:26:33 pm »
Hi