Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Do I need some sort of valve inbetween (switching from below to above ground tan  (Read 1560 times)


  • Gettin' the fire started!
  • *
  • Posts: 2
    • View Profile
I have an older #2 heating oil furnace for central heating in my home. The pump it uses is a Beckett AFG. Historically it's had to work pretty hard to pull fuel from an underground tank behind the house. Just last year I put a commercial fuel filter and water separator near the pump on the inlet side, along with a one-way valve to help reduce the pump-priming times when I drain any garbage from the water separator.

The underground tank has a leak somewhere and is always filling with water. I've purchased an above ground tank to transfer fuel into and abandon the underground one. My question is, since this will have a gravity-feed affect on the pump, will that cause the pump to just constantly slowly trickle fuel into the furnace 24/7? I've heard rumors of a one-way valve that I'd need that would prevent fuel flow into the pump (spring loaded ball) that the pump could overcome and suck fuel through. I've also read about some sort of solenoid valve (that I don't see an opening for on my current pump).

I'm not very knowledgeable on this stuff so when I started seeing questions like 'is your pump a delay pump?" etc I don't know what they're talking about. I'm fine with paying a local business to come make modifications as needed but I'd like to know what modifications to ask for. If I need a replacement pump with that electric solenoid valve that's fine but I just don't know what I need, if anything.


  • Can't stop the fire now!
  • ****
  • Posts: 314
    • View Profile
ask your heating contractor the same questions and concerns you asked us. if you do have a problem with fuel leaking past your pump the contractor may suggest a solenoid valve on the fuel supply line
You can't put it on the internet if it isn't true!



  • Gettin' the fire started!
  • *
  • Posts: 27
    • View Profile
    • Email
Most furnace controls have provisions for oil solenoids that will turn on to allow oil flow to the gun when it starts to fire, and turn off when the control turns off.  Look at the wiring diagram on your main control and you should see terminals for the solenoid.