Author Topic: heat exchanger rust  (Read 15901 times)

240six

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
heat exchanger rust
« on: August 27, 2017, 04:55:07 pm »
I have a Clean Burn CB-86-AH. Bought new in 1990. Has worked well with some minor repairs. The heat exchanger has surface rust that blows out as fine particles all over my cars in the garage. Not a good thing. Would there be someway to dissemble and clean the outside of the tubes and paint/coat them to stop the rust? Maybe a powder coating. Would it be better to send the unit to a professional and have reconditioned? Looked for the heat exchanger but no luck. I like this unit and would like to keep it going. I could take it to someone if close enough. If I left anything out let me know. Thanks Jerry

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: heat exchanger rust
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 10:09:30 pm »
Hello Jerry,
                 That is something that happens with fireboxes over time. They will eventually rust out  and need replacement. I would clean the heater then remove the fan and sheet metal top of heater. Do a visual inspection to check for cracks and holes in firebox/tubes. I then hit each tube with a hammer to make sure each one rings and if you get a thud that tube is bad.

27 years is a very good lifespan for a firebox. Unfortunately it was discontinued several years and there is no replacement fireboxes. The new style burners and fireboxes are a huge improvement you might want to check out.

If there is anything I can do help let me know.

Duane

240six

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 08:12:22 am »
This Clean Burn unit has done well. Although I would like to keep it going it might be time to update. I would think technology has improved waste oil heaters. My garage is 36x28. I only run it when I am out there not 24/7. It is ceiling hung. Some of the new ones seem very long which could be difficult to hang in the corner. Are the newer heat exchangers less prone to surface rust? What are some pros and cons of the ones out there?

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 11:48:57 am »
36x28 is that a misprint ? If not that is going to play a big part in the formation of rust on the firebox. I am going to ballpark your BTU needs @ 60,000 or less and your heater is 185,000 BTU. That much overkill is not good for fireboxes.

A new CB-140 @ 140,000 will be a little closer to your needs but still overkill. Size wise it is only about 12" longer and HxW are similar. Much easier to clean to with the swing away door. Metered oil pump so you never have to adjust oil pressure again.

240six

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 12:01:39 pm »
That is the correct size. Guess the guy I bought it from wanted to sell one. No wonder it heated so good! Would this be to small an area to really use one? I would like to use one again but maybe need some guidance on the proper setup to use. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks again

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 12:16:17 pm »
If you were my customer I would try to talk you out of buying a heater. I believe in being honest with customers is more important that making a couple of $$. For that small of shop I would go with NG/Propane or even electric depending on rates in your area. 

What is the height of your shop and level of insulation ? Lets try to narrow down your BTU # and see what would work best for you.

240six

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 12:39:26 pm »
It is just under 11 to the ceiling. I would have to measure to be accurate but about 10' 10". Is 2x4 walls with fiberglass insulation as is the ceiling. I have a barn style roof but the upstairs is not insulated. If you need more detailed info let me know. At work now. It is a 3 bay garage with insulated garage doors. Hate to switch but there might not be a unit small enough. Thanks for you time and effort on this.

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 01:10:39 pm »
I would not go smaller than 45,000 BTU or larger than 60,000 BTU. Both of those can be purchased for well under $1,000. A new CB-140 is going to run you $4,950 maybe cheaper if your dist is running any kind specials. That is a big price gap for a shop that only gets occasional use.

240six

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 01:41:57 pm »
Is there waste oil heaters that small a BTU or do I need to look at propane. I have propane.  Electric would be expensive.

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 04:15:54 pm »
140,000 BTU is the smallest. I would get some bids for propane and see what you would be looking at for costs.

240six

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 06:28:48 pm »
Thanks for being honest about this not being the best choice for my garage size. Although I liked using the waste oil[free fuel] it is way oversize for my needs. I will look into another fuel source. Maybe I can sell this one. Thanks again

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 06:46:26 pm »
That is a great idea, you should be able to sell that one for enough money to fund the cost of a new propane unit.

koolkris

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - koolistdude
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 08:24:32 pm »
omni now makes a 75,000 btu waste oil heater, i think its been out couple years now

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 12:01:25 pm »
I did not mention Omni because they are at the bottom for quality, reliability, in person customer support etc.

240six

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 04:40:19 am »
The Clean Burn has been very reliable. Wish there was some way to recondition the heat exchanger to stop the surface rust. Thinking of a high temperature coating but that might not hold up either. The waste oil is free so I did to pay for propane. Thanks for all the input.