Author Topic: Neighborhood Acceptance of Burning Used Oil  (Read 17320 times)

Lake Nokomis

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Neighborhood Acceptance of Burning Used Oil
« on: September 30, 2009, 08:26:26 am »
First, thanks to the generous person who set this up. Every few months when I tote 5 gal. of used motor oil down to Tires Plus, I think about how I could get some use out of it as fuel. I research the subject, and then I come to the same conclusion that my neigbors would probably be annoyed by my project.

In 1992 I installed a hydropulse (Hydrotherm brand) gas boiler that has served me well. Its only irritation  was noise, and I've finally conquered that. But, come autumn, I think about wringing heat out of waste oil.

I would like to hear some stories about getting along with the neighbors and the government offices that regulate things that could vex the neighbors. I wouldn't like to live along side a person whose chimney reeked of motor oil or deep fryer oil. And how about all those carcinogens that are supposed to be present in your crankcase? I back off when I read on this forum that someone's modified burner is smoking. I live too close to people for me to be able to get by with that for even a little while.

I have a chance to buy a small used Buderus wet bottom boiler at a reasonable cost. I don't know yet what kind of gun it has, but I'm not going forward until I can resolve my fears. Who issues permits for these installations? Are most of you urban, or are you living in the wide open space?

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: Neighborhood Acceptance of Burning Used Oil
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 07:10:38 pm »
Hello,

Good question.  I will let you know what little I know about this subject and the experience I have had.  

I don't know of the legalities when it comes to burning waste oil, so I cant comment on that.  

As far as burning waste oil and affecting the neighbors, I am pretty sure my next door neighbor (I live in town) doesn't even know I am burning it.  My furnace burns clean with no smoke output.  All you see coming out of the stack is heat waves.  As long as you don't stick your head right over the stack, you cant smell it either.  I have noticed soot buildup in the furnace and in the exhaust pipe, which over time could build up, and I suppose some of that is going air borne, but nothing I have actually seen coming out.

I use my heater to heat the garage, so it doesn't run full time, just occasionally when I want to warm up the garage and work out there.  I don't have that many hours on the furnace since the conversion, but in the little time I have used it, I don't see a problem with it bothering the neighbors.

Russ

Oh yea, I am burning WMO

Lake Nokomis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 02:07:38 pm »
Thanks for the reply, Russ. What exactly is your setup?

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 08:28:14 pm »
Here is the post with info about my heater:
http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=36.0

It was nearly the end of the heating season when I finally got it up and running, so I didnt get that many hours on it.  Hope to burn up some oil this winter!

Lake Nokomis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 01:21:11 pm »
Thanks. I just bought a Kelley Hot Shot heater off Craigslist. I'm anxious to learn about its capabilities. Does anyone on this site have any experience with this burner?

erickh1

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 02:24:27 pm »
for burning waste oil the epa states, You must produce waste-oil, get it from do it yourselfers, unit be less than 500,000 BTU's and vented to the ambient air. you can also purchase oil from a licesened carrier. That it, i don't know about other states but it has been approved for residential use in MI.

dan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 09:04:33 pm »
I am " Wide open spaces" I do not think a good set up would smoke. Besides that #2 is no fresh as spring smell.No one will know, just say you burn #2. Dan....

'

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 08:38:24 pm »
Just something to add to this that I thought of the other day... The neighbors diesel pickup stinks worse than my WO burner!  I know diesels have their place, but boy, they sure do stink.  ;)