Author Topic: Energylogic won't shut off  (Read 8467 times)

jperloff

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Energylogic won't shut off
« on: April 05, 2016, 12:15:25 pm »
Hello,

I have an Energylogic 200,000 BTU heater I bought used to warm my barn to do hobby automotive restoration.  The previous owner had the main components replaced (burner, preheater etc) and they have 488 hrs on them.  This past Saturday the heater did not turn off when it reached the set thermostat temp.  I tested the thermostat and even tried and different thermostat but the heater keeps running regardless of thermostat setting, even in the thermostat off mode the heater keeps running.  I think it may be in the Honeywell primary control where a relay may be stuck in on position but I am not certain.  Any recommendations how to test and determine the problem before I start buying the wrong parts?  Thanks in advance for any information.

jonny

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Energylogic won't shut off
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 08:23:35 pm »
Did you try removing the thermostat wires from the primary control ? If you remove the wires and it quits then I would suspect a wiring issue. If it stays running with the wires removed then I would say primary control.

jperloff

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 05:26:48 am »
Yes it runs with the thermostat wires removed.  I even tried a different thermostat and checked the old one for continuity.  It seems like the primary control is bad I think. 

It has a Honeywell R8184G1302 on it that seem to run about $150.  I found an ICM1502 that says its a direct replacement for the Honeywell R8184G1302, the ICM is about $50. 

Any thoughts on replacing the Honeywell with an ICM to save some cost?

thanks for all the info.

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 10:10:53 am »
They can be found for under $100 but Honeywell quality has gone downhill the past few years and I would stay away from the ICM. I would go with the Carlin.

jperloff

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 11:05:01 am »
ok thanks