Author Topic: new waste oil burner  (Read 10807 times)

liam

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
new waste oil burner
« on: March 30, 2016, 01:10:47 am »
Hello. From some years I'm burning WVO with a modified burner with delavan siphon nozzle And preheater constant level tank. About last year I wasted to concert the burner with a metering pump. Now I've got a Cleanburn nozzle Holder And want to try it. It's kind of hard to explain here becayluse now I live in Europe and the burner that I'm using it made here. With all the trying I run now 0.2-0.3 delavan siphon nozzle. I understand that I have to make a pump from burner pump but at lower speed. My burner has a eckerle pump. Seems to Be similar with suntec. After years of burning oil it seems that the I need around 80.000-100.000 btu. There are people that are using the metering pump And they say it will not work with such a low nozzle. The best should be 0.5 or -5 nozzle. What I want îs keep the flame at 8 inch long at maximum or maybe smaller. I understand that you need a flow regulator on oil And ait line also. That might be a problem due to veggie oil that will become solid between cicles of burning.
So what would be the advice în oil oine? Must there be a electric valve on oil? Also a flow regulator? Or can I make this just from metering pump? Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: new waste oil burner
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 12:26:59 pm »
I wouldnt think it would matter what size nozzle you are using to be able to utilize a metering pump.  The idea is that you can get rid of your constant level tank because the metering pump will deliver the same pressure regardless of your supply tank pressure.

Most burner pumps, from what I understand, have a valve in them that only allows them to pump when they reach a certain RPM.  This isnt suitable for a metering pump.  You want a pump without that valve so you can turn it at a low RPM and deliver the precise amount of fuel needed for your siphon nozzle.

As for the regulator, I wondered that myself.  Maybe a solenoid valve should be added before the pump to prevent any flow when the pump is off?  Maybe some with more familiarization in metering pumps can help us out there.

liam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 12:41:12 am »
The pump that I have has spring with a screw that can be turned right or left increasing or decreasing the pressure. În that way you can tune the pressure output. It only opens after the pump has reached some rpm's but actually it only opens when the oil has the pressure you want. But the pressure it's way too much  to use it aș a metering pump. The pump has an input, an output And the return line. To make a metering pump you need to make from 2 way pump a 1 way pump. Only 1 input And output. There are some info on net how to convert a suntec pump.
There is also a solenoid valve after that spring that în my opinion îs kind of safety switch. The burner starts, the pump got some rpm , makes the pressure ready for fire and than the burner starts with flooding the furnace with oil trough that solenoid valve.
Still wabdering if with a metering pump still need a solenoid valve. I think it should. There are voices that have tried and said there will be impossible to use a metering pump under 300 000 btu. În my opinion if the pump still turns at variabile speed it should work. Depends of the rpms of the pump it will deliver the amount of oil you need.

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 12:12:07 pm »
Yes, as you said, as long as the motor turns the pump slow enough, it should deliver as much (or little in your case) as you want.

I still havent connected the pump I built here http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=293.15 to my burner yet.  I do use it to pump oil from my large holding tank to my small tank and suck it through a filter in the process.  When my residential style boiler (85,000 BTU?) is running, the metering pump keeps the small tank about level, so I know the pump is outputting about the same amount as the burner is taking from my constant level tank.  I think any amount is doable as long as you have the correct pump and motor RPM.

I agree on the solenoid valve, and is why I havent hooked the pump directly to my burner yet.  I have just been too lazy to order and install the valve.

liam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 12:47:08 pm »
În your case when you have the corect rpms the switch level on your constant level will not give any command. And the metering pump will work all the time... Smart...