Author Topic: 600Kw output Drip fed burner.  (Read 9355 times)

Oilburner

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
600Kw output Drip fed burner.
« on: April 14, 2015, 10:11:59 am »
I have been working on a new setup to get more power out of my burners.
1L of oil a minute or 600Kw has been a goal for some time and I have finally got there. I have been using these burners a bit recently to separate the aluminum from steel and other metal in car parts. A monster like this will allow whole engines to be melted down in under 5 minutes I reckon.

Here's a preview of the burner running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt9xvB_hmWk

I'll edit the full vid and get it up in the next couple of days.

I did a flow test on the fuel before the run and measured the consumption afterwards to confirm the output. As soon as I opened the fuel right up and it ran without going rich or smoking, I knew what I had achieved.  The surprise was how easily I did it.  I measured the fuel flow before and after and confirmed I was getting 600KW but as I had the thing wide open with 3 PSI fuel pressure ion a 3/8 line and got no smoking, it's clear the thing can do more.

I also got another blower to force feed the primary one and the flame of the burner got shorter and hotter indicating the thing was then leaning out.  I'll have to go to a 1/2" fuel line as I don't want to put any more pressure on the plastic fuel tank I'm using.
This thing isn't exactly a "drip" burner, the flow of 1L of oil a minute is a very healthy stream.  I don't know what it is in pure American standard of measurement being football Fields but it is one of your gallons in Under 4 min.  Be thankful your car doesn't get that although I imagine you'd have a smile on your face if it did.

I'm thinking this burner which has a 3" outlet and a 2.5" inlet may go to 750 Kw, maybe higher.  The next goal obviously is 1000KW. For that I'm thinking a 4" outlet and a 3" inlet will allow me to get to that level.  After that, there really is no point I suppose because the sky is the limit  depending on your ability to supply air and fuel.

I also bought another blower. It's a very specialized bit of gear which is a high speed, high pressure blower capable of putting out 60 CFM @ 13 PSI. This could make for an awesome torch/ jet like burner that will shreik like an old turbo jet of the '60's .  I'm thinking of something like a small stationary  rocket type motor and see if can get Mach Diamonds coming out the end which really would be rocket science as it indicates a flame speed above the speed of sound. not sure if that is possible on 13 PSI but I aim to find out!

:0)

I'll get the full vid up in the next couple of days to show the full setup and the fuel measurement.

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: 600Kw output Drip fed burner.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 09:40:49 pm »
Wow, I never imagined we would have members on the forum doing this kind of stuff!  Very cool.  Keep up the good work!

As it warms up here in the north, I imagine things are cooling down where you are?  How cold does it get there?

Oilburner

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 12:52:40 am »

What you really mean is you never thought you'd ever have anyone on the forum CRAZY enough to do this kind of stuff!
I can understand why! :0)

I have been trying to get to the 750Kw test burn but the weather here has been wet for most of the last few weeks which is a bummer. I made one short lived attempt with the burner going out a couple of times till I figured that some how, my what I thought was sealed drum of oil had a lot of water in it.

Not much point trying to dry it till the weather dries out as well.

Yes, getting colder here fairly rapidly now. Days are around 20C with overnight temps getting to 10.
Another few weeks and we'll see peak daytime temps around 15 and night temps as low as -3 where I am but you typically only get a few of them a year. Mostly it would be around 2-5o minimums.

Getting to work seriously on the Veg powered home heater now.  Using a veg fired burner with an old gas hot water heater and a pump and car radiator to take the heat into the house.

doug

• Can't stop the fire now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 08:25:53 pm »
What ya going to do with all that heat?
You can't put it on the internet if it isn't true!

http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=102.0