Author Topic: Hello, My name is oil burner and I'm an Oiloholic. :0)  (Read 10046 times)

Oilburner

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hello, My name is oil burner and I'm an Oiloholic. :0)
« on: February 21, 2015, 06:00:21 am »
Stumbled across this site and thought it might be right up my alley although it does look a little quiet here?
Seems I passed the entrance exam to be allowed in, never been through that to get in to a forum before. You guys must have some real good secrets locked away in here!!!  :0)

I'm in Sydney Australia which means when most of you are freezing your butts of in god forsaken snow, I'm sweating like a pig and getting sunburnt.  It also means I don't understand your out of date temperatures in o F, Whatever the heck that is nor do I have any comprehension of your standard units of length measurements, Football fields.  We, like the rest of the civilized world work in units of 10 called the metric system. :0)
A thong here is a rubber sandal you wear on your feet, equally for blokes and sheilas, of any age from birth to death.  It's NOT something that goes up the crack of your Klakka.

I make all sorts weird and wonderful burners most of which are ridiculously and impractically over-powerful.  I like fire and being in control of it, what can I say?
 If it's not doing 100Kw or 10L an hour, I can build one that will to relieve the painful boredom.  So far the most powerful Burner I have built burnt goes through 38L an hour of oil  or outputs 380 Kw and would do more If I can finally get my hands on something like a jumping castle blower. Or 2.

I have a Youtube channel under the same name where I show my exploits and have tutorials on building and operating different home made burners. 

https://www.youtube.com/user/glumpy10/videos

The channel is for men and women who are into DIY and getting their hands dirty. If you are a whining safely zealot Nazi, it's definitely not for you.  :0(
My belief is PPE is all fine and well but basically useless if your brain isn't engaged in the first place.  Uncommon sense is the most important piece of safety gear in my book.  Don't whine about me welding without gloves, it hasn't killed me or anyone else yet and I have no time for whingers that have never done so much DIY as nail 2 bits of wood together but think they have a duty to play mother hen on the internet to everyone that can.   ::)

The burners I make are designed for melting scrap metal to putting under your BBQ. I have used them for powering a water heater so I could have a hot shower when the electric one died recently to heating oil for processing to Biodiesel and just make big flames for the hell of it.   :P

For my upcoming personal projects, I want to make an oil burning heater for the house that is located outside and circulates hot water through a radiator inside.  I also have the heat exchanger from a boiler that was used to heat a council  Olympic size pool and want to finally get around to setting that up to heat my own swimming pool.  The HE is only rated at 200 Kw so I'll have to tame things down a bit so I don't melt the thing. That should give me a 20oC temp rise on my 70K L pool in about 12 hours.

I have also been running my Vehicle on used Veg oil for over 10 years now and I'm pretty familiar with that as well although I go against the grain of about 90% of what is preached with that because it's basically rubbish that people parrot and follow blindly without ever testing. I have and base my opinions and practices on demonstrated fact not what the last guy said  who followed what the guy before him did who followed the guy before him and.....

I have misspent a lot of my time following oily and often smokey pursuits and I hope to be able to contribute here and help some people avoid making the same mistakes I have and leverage their learning curve while being able to learn some things myself.

OK, now I have cured your insomnia, you can wake up now and go back to your regular Viewing.

Have Fun guys!

OB.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 06:07:03 am by Oilburner »

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: Hello, My name is oil burner and I'm an Oiloholic. :0)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 12:52:02 pm »
Welcome to the forum Oilburner!  Yes, it is fairly quiet around here, and I will comment on your membership drive regarding that.  Glad to hear you passed the entrance exam  ;).  The spammers were getting a little out of hand a couple of months ago and making a  mess of the forum.  I was having a real difficult time getting them stopped and the exam along with admin approval was the only way to keep it under control.  Things have slowed down a little on spammer activity so maybe I can ease the registration process up a little.

You've got that right, snow, but mostly cold here in Minnesota.  It is supposed to get down to -17F here tonight.  Thats -27C for the rest of the world  ;).  I hear ya on the metric system.  After we learned our system in school, then they taught us the metric system.  That was a breeze after learning ours!  Growing up with the US system, we know no difference, but I do think switching to what the rest of the world would be a good move. 

It sounds like you have quite a bit of knowledge in the waste oil subject.  Thanks for your willingness to become a member and share information with us all.  Its people like you that help make this site the great collection of information that it is. 

Thank you so much.  Enjoy the forum!

Russ

p38arover

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 06:24:18 am »
I'm enjoying your videos and learning a lot.

Maybe I can get mine to work like yours!  :D

I am always amused by the videos with all the PPE in them.  I really wonder if anyone uses all that stuff or only for the videos.

Joe mamma

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 01:47:01 pm »
looks like monster garage. people that know stuff can do fun things with dangerous stuff. i just wanna heat my garage so i can comfortably do other stuff.  ;)