Author Topic: Russ pressure system  (Read 32154 times)

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Russ pressure system
« on: February 23, 2009, 10:05:43 pm »
Here are some pictures in the early stages.  Still have to replace the fuel line.  This was all I could get when I was in town.  Might deteriorate with contact with oil, I'm not sure.  Thats probably not the permanent mounting place for the filter either, it was just a good place to hang it.  I am building a garage heater that will just be used when I am out there, so I dont need a large holding tank.  5 gallons should keep it going while I am working out there.  My next step will be to get the block made for pre-heating the WMO.  I have been running #1 diesel in it and it warms things up in a hurry. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 10:07:42 pm by Russ »

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: Russ pressure system
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 09:47:53 pm »
Here is the burner before modification.

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 09:55:59 pm »
And after modification.

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 09:57:11 pm »
A few more pictures of the block.

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 09:59:39 pm »
I will have to get everything tightened up and adjust the location of the tip and then I will get it running on diesel again.  After it is running good, I will hook up the PID to the heater and start mixing used oil and see how that goes.

Andy

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 05:52:28 pm »
Very nice block! Dose it still fit inside the stock tube and burner retentioner? or are you making it longer? I was lookin at the one from ckburners and they make it so long you have to extend the pipe and install a new flange. But that kit is for siphon setup.

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 09:49:07 pm »
Thanks Andy.  A friend built it, I dont have the tools or skills to do such a job, but I think he did a great job.  I will still use the stock tube.  I took the pictures of it with the tube off, but I will be sure to get some with it on.  It fits inside perfectly.  From what I understand the tube only needs to be longer on siphon systems.  The siphon systems also need a bit more swirl too.  I am hoping I can get by with all the stock parts.  Hopefully this weekend I can get everything tightened up and do a test fire.

Russ

Kyle

• next in line!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 10:08:16 pm »
well It's been awhile guys, sorry to much work to little time, looking good Russ have you fired it yet?

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 10:27:35 pm »
Hey Kyle, good to see you out here.  I did get a chance to fire it, but havent had time to report.  I mixed up a 50% mix of WMO and diesel and started to warm up the block.  I ran the block at about 100 degrees F and it burned perfectly!  After most of that was burned up, I added more oil.  I am guessing it has to be very close to 100% now.  It is burning very well!  No smoke from the stack at all, just heat coming out.  I notice that when I start the heater it makes a "woof, woof, woof" sound for about a minute until the chamber heats up.  After about a minute it evens out and burns just as if it were HHO.  More information and pictures hopefully in the next few days.

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 09:32:19 pm »
I have burned about 10 gallons of waste oil so far with great results.  Start up is a little rough, but after a minute or so it evens out and burns nice.  No smoke, even at start up.  The picture of the burner running with the flame is actually with HHO, I was just making sure that the block was going to work and that I didnt have any leaks.  The picture of the furnace is the final project.  I bought a square D box and mounted the PID controller in it and put the fuses and wiring in there so it is all tucked away neatly.  Now the heating season is pretty much over, so I probably wont burn much more this winter, but it will hopefully put some hours on it next year.

Andy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 12:20:42 am »
Thats Awsome. Let us know how clean your tips are after a few hour heating!  Any other pics??

Lake Nokomis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 09:20:05 am »
Russ, where did you get the oil filter holder unit? Is this off of a car?

<br><br> Also, what is the spacing between your igniter tips, and where are the tips relative to the nozzle (how far into the spray do they sit)?

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 01:40:47 pm »
Hello,

Yes it is a car filter housing.  I bought it from Jegs.  It uses a common size filter, although I dont remember the size off hand. 

As far as the spacing for the igniter tips, I just used what my furnace recommended.  I will have to take a look on the furnace for the exact measurements.  I will let you know when I get a chance to look.

Lake Nokomis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2009, 09:44:01 am »
Actually, my question on this count was answered by looking closely at your picture. Thanks.

Lake Nokomis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 09:41:40 am »
What is the current draw or wattage of your heater? If you use a suction nozzle, what are the compressed air requirements?