Author Topic: HELP CB-86AH oil pressure surges  (Read 9665 times)

ephratah service

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
HELP CB-86AH oil pressure surges
« on: December 03, 2014, 04:48:46 am »
I have a older clean burn CB-86AH I am having issues with the oil pressure surging up and down it will fluctuate up and down about 1 and 1/2 pounds and the flame does the same it keeps going out due to eye not seeing fire eventually I have tried raising oil pressure and then it will over fire when it increase if I drop the pressure it will go out then reignite. I have purged the heater block, cleaned the oil filters on the suction side of pump, took pump apart and cleaned screen inside pump, tried a different batch of oil and it will run good for awhile then start surging again. Do any of you techs have any suggestions as what to check next?
I am running oil pressure at around 3 pounds and air at around 12 pounds according to my gauges. It does not sound like it is firing right either when it fires right it kind of makes a whistle noise and I have not heard that for a while. Could I have 1 of the 2 cal rod heaters bad?

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: HELP CB-86AH oil pressure surges
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 08:58:02 pm »
How about the air supply?  Is it consistent?

ephratah service

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 03:13:23 am »
Air is supplied by 8HP compressor with 80 gallon tank. I have kind of had a stretch of having it run better I resealed all the connections on the suction side of the pump and it has been doing better. I think my pump may be on its way out and I am going to replace it soon.

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 06:04:44 pm »
Glad to hear it has been working better.  Air doesnt sound like it should be the problem.  Are you referring to the oil pump on its way out?

ephratah service

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 08:57:48 pm »
I think my oil pump may be going bad I took it apart and cleaned everything had a lot of junk on the screen inside pump and relief valve is turned way up.

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 10:42:13 pm »
Sounds like you are sucking air.