Author Topic: collecting oil  (Read 31275 times)

koolkris

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - koolistdude
    • View Profile
collecting oil
« on: February 21, 2009, 01:22:21 am »
so what seems to be the best way to collect oil? i'm talking large volume, i have a few sources that are over 100 gallons. i have been getting a few big storage tanks ready but i'm not sure what is the best way to collect the oil?  it seems pumping can be very slow unless you have the hot setup! i also been reading about using vacuum to suck it in a transfer tank.
 so i'm looking for some input by you guys thats been doing this a while, what works best at the most reasonable price for hardware???

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: collecting oil
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 07:49:04 pm »
You are talking about WMO right?

koolkris

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - koolistdude
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 08:45:09 pm »
yes russ, motor oil,

Kyle

• next in line!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 10:06:58 pm »
Hey kris, sorry not online much now, but the best way I found was pnematic cylinders, one driving the other pumping, linked together, I'll send some picts when I have some time

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 06:56:18 pm »
Air Diaphragm pump is the only way to go.

PreferredTree

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 07:18:44 pm »
I use a lube oil pump form northern tool. It is 110vac driving a gear pump. Might be as fast as 20 gpm but watch out for metal chunks in the oil. Gotta have a screen or it jams and tears up the gears. Costs 350 bucks but it is not too big and works well.
Shanendoah 200,000 btu burning mostly waste motor oil or anything that smell funny.

snicks

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 08:51:39 pm »
I use a gear pump and a 5 horse honda to pump mine. It will do an easy 20 gallons a min at -20. the engine barks a bit thow lol.
im using an old hydro pump off a tracktor

If your in need for extra oil I get mine from the drop off spots where you can get ride of waste oil. Just make sure your hose is not on the bottom of the tank or you will get the water and crap. I also fileter the oil I pump.

woodjointer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 04:16:57 pm »
I bought a 12 volt pump designed for motor oil and gear oil it was$180 and burned up in 10 min. so I just won an old cessna hydraulic pump on e-bay for $13. I'm gonna try to build somthing with that if anyone has any ideas or experiance in this field let me know. I placed an add on craigslist for free waste oil and was offered almost 500 gallons in 3 days! now i need to work on some tanks but its to cold out and too much snow on the ground to be doing that kind of stuff now.
Free is better than cheap!

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 08:06:19 pm »
Man, too bad about the pump burning up.  Maybe the ebay pump will hold up to the job.  Cant say that I have any experience in this area so I wont be of any help.  Wow, 500 gallons!  I guess the ad worked.  Is it all from one person, or several different people?  I might have to give that a try.

What kind of tank are you using for storage?  I kind of like the idea of the tanks that are enclosed in a cage like the one below.

woodjointer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 01:53:20 pm »
I have access to a few old home heating oil tanks that are still good plus a few 55 gallon drums. the 500 gallons is from 4 different people ranging from a few gallons to 300 gallons. now i just need to pick it up! I like the tanks in your pic are they expensive?
Free is better than cheap!

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 06:09:29 pm »
Good deal.  Yea picking it up will be a little work.  Gonna need storage!  I found those tanks on craigslist:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/grd/1519092120.html

I also see them on ebay.
Check in this category.  Trick is to find them close enough to go pick them up.  I think it would pretty slick to mount to a trailer or load in the back of a pickup.

Go get that oil!!   :)

z4cth3p4c

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 01:59:33 am »
I use the 12 volt diesel transfer pump from harbor freight only i modified it by removing the fuse and installing a 30 amp auto circuit breaker, whenever I run this i set the pump on a gel ice pack, I constructed a wand out of PVC pipe the length of a fifty five gallon barrel and attached the suction filter to the bottom of the wand I have been using this set up fine now for over a year but I never pump more than one hundred gallons at a time and if i think its getting warm i shut it down.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-diesel-transfer-pump-66784.html

also this website is a good reference in regards to heating with waste oil
http://wasteoilburnerhq.com/

MightyMo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 01:04:00 pm »
I generate 25 gallons of waste motor oil about twice a year and it is a hassle to dispose of it. I usually take it to TSC  for recycling.

Is there someone in the Toledo Ohio area that is using the stuff and would like it for FREE.

doug

• Can't stop the fire now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 10:27:49 am »
I generate 25 gallons of waste motor oil about twice a year and it is a hassle to dispose of it. I usually take it to TSC  for recycling.

Is there someone in the Toledo Ohio area that is using the stuff and would like it for FREE.

I would be if your 70 miles west of Toledo :D.
You can't put it on the internet if it isn't true!

http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=102.0

MightyMo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 03:36:18 pm »

I would be if your 70 miles west of Toledo :D.
70 miles west of Toledo is Indiana. :)

I am 3 miles south of the Toledo Express Airport. Which is st exit 52 of I-80/90. That is 53 miles east of Indiana.

Kind of a long drive for 25 gal :)