Author Topic: collecting oil  (Read 34210 times)

bkb

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
Re: collecting oil
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 10:36:54 pm »
I built a super sucker out of a air compressor tank and a hot water tank. Hook up a vacuum pump for a few min till she gets to -30 inches and drive off to collect. It makes no noise at all and pulls down a cold 55 gallon drum in a few min. Mine holds 200 gallens at a shot. when i get home i pressureize the tanks to 75psi and blow out the oil into 4 260 gallon plastic totes. Let it sit all summer to settle out and seperate the antifreeze, water, and junk.

millwright

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 11:38:23 am »
This sounds like a cooooool way to do it!!!  I hadn't thought of vacuum.  I use a small hydraulic pump, and a drop cord to plug in at the source.   I also have a generator to power it with, but i rarely have to use that.  Sometimes its just handier.  I also store my oil in 4 260 gallon totes.  I get mine for $25 each at this country store that gets TIDE liquid, etc. in them then sells them when they are done.   Right now i'm using a drip burner with forced air.  Does the trick nicely for my shop, next year I plan to use heat the house with a hot water system that is already in place with a outdoor furnace (wood).   As i move along in age and experience, I've concluded that wood is fine, but I'd rather run a pump and a hose than a saw and splitter.  Although the exercise never hurt me any!!! :D

doug

• Can't stop the fire now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 06:54:19 pm »
I built a super sucker out of a air compressor tank and a hot water tank. Hook up a vacuum pump for a few min till she gets to -30 inches and drive off to collect. It makes no noise at all and pulls down a cold 55 gallon drum in a few min. Mine holds 200 gallens at a shot. when i get home i pressureize the tanks to 75psi and blow out the oil into 4 260 gallon plastic totes. Let it sit all summer to settle out and seperate the antifreeze, water, and junk.

I'd like to know more about your "super sucker". What kind of vacuum pump your using and how you have the two tanks plumbed together? And any other details about your "super sucker" you'd like to share with us.

doug
You can't put it on the internet if it isn't true!

http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=102.0

bkb

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 02:37:16 pm »

Tank is on wheels so i can roll it inside some garages to pull from there tanks. Little winch to pull the tank back on the trailer. And some 2 cylinder vacuum pump that i got from a yardsale for cheap.