Author Topic: Beckett Oil Burner Mods  (Read 32117 times)

89CamminGT

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Beckett Oil Burner Mods
« on: January 03, 2012, 01:24:50 am »
Hey guys, i have finally got my beckett afg going , and while it puts out decent heat, I would like it to put out more. Is there a way to raise the output?? Larger nozzle, pump pressure or????......

My Fuel Line is 3/8" Copper and it is gravity fed to a Webster M34DJ Pump, Stock 75gph 70 hollow nozzle.

The unit is only rated for 85,000 btu but it is in a 3 bay garage, its not like its trying to heat a whole house. I figure it would heat it up quick but so far I believe my 60,000 btu kerosene torpedo heater works better.

Any help would be appreciated as im new oil burning furnaces, I can provide pics or whatever needed if it will help, Thanks WOHF
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 11:53:29 am by 89CamminGT »

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: Beckett Oil Burner Mods
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 10:00:56 pm »
Are you still just burning HHO?    If so, converting to WMO will normally give you more heat.  It is usually recommended to go down a size with your nozzle as the WMO burns hotter.  My furnace recommends a .85 and I run a .70 or .75, cant remember of the top of my head.  I think next tips I get will be even smaller.  My furnace burns very hot.  I have never taken a temp of the output air, but it is definitely hot.  It will heat my 3 car garage up from 45 to 70 in about a half hour to 45 minutes if it is around 20 or so outside.  The garage is insulated.

How hot is the air coming from your funace?  Depending on your flame, you could try adjusting the pump pressure and see if that makes a difference.

If the air coming out is already pretty hot, I wouldnt do anything different as too much heat could damage the inside of the combustion chamber.

89CamminGT

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 11:52:45 am »
Well as much as I would love to say that I am burning WVO or SVO, I am not. I am completely new to this, I would love to check the pressure but I have no idea where to check it. All i know is the bleed ports to get the air out and to set pump pressure at 150 for more heat. The heat is warm at best coming directly out of the unit.

I believe I really do need to remove the burner, not only to verify but to upgrade to a 1.0gph but it probably wouldn't hurt to clean the combustion chamber, although it is a fear that it will never be running again.

I just feel it is taking excessive time heating up the shop. It has been in the 20's lately and it takes about an hr to get warm in there. The shop is not insulated except for where the roof meets the walls, I know this doesnt help. But it is just about air tight, I found all and any drafts I could last week and fixed them, it is really 100% better than it use to be.

Thanks for the help so far!

89CamminGT

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 11:55:07 am »
PS: I am using Offroad diesel with some atf mixed in, not much though...

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 09:06:50 pm »
Is there a peep hole you can check inside the furnace to see what the flame looks like.  Peek in there and try turning the pressure up a bit.  You would have to attach a gauge in order to find out the pressure.  I would just try turning up and see if that helps.  I would think it should be throwing out some nice warm heat.  Although you are heating an uninsulated garage of pretty fair size and its pretty cold out.

Get working on the waste oil conversion and I bet it would put out some more heat  ;)

89CamminGT

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 09:54:03 pm »
Thanks Russ I will try that. I am looking up where and how to turn the pressure up now , I will report back with my results!

Edit:
Here is a pic of how it is currently burning. I know it wont tell much but maybe hopefully something is terribly wrong that is easy to see LOL

The tube in the center glows red, while there is visible yellow/orange flame which sometimes the tips of it go around the tube and out the stack, but not often.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 11:25:45 pm by 89CamminGT »

89CamminGT

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 12:50:57 pm »
Well I have been looking for a couple hours on google and a Beckett AF & AFG PDF manual, and for the life of me cannot find where to adjust the pressure. I am getting rather frustrated. I know where to install the pressure tester though... Should I convert to a carlin

doug

• Can't stop the fire now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 03:02:33 pm »
the top of page 17 at this site shows the location of the adjuster. http://www.websterfuelpumps.com/pdffiles/mpump3.pdf
You can't put it on the internet if it isn't true!

http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=102.0

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 10:12:25 pm »
I would say by the sound of your description of the burn, that is is burning properly.  I dont know that you would want to turn up the pressure too much.  I believe that you only want a little flame now and then leaving the chamber.

89CamminGT

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 01:24:58 am »
Going to try to turn it up a little tomorrow. According to where that manual is showing, the adjuster must be under one of the plugs. How sensitive are these? Would half a turn be too much or one turn?? Or are they all different, I just dont want to be blowing seals like I have read about if they are set too high... Thanks Again

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 05:38:21 pm »
I turn mine a half of a turn to a whole turn sometimes to adjust heat output.  I dont think you would have a problem going a half turn and see what happens.  Some pumps can be outfitted with a gauge that can help see where you are at too.  I think I picked one up at the hardware store for just a few bucks.

89CamminGT

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 10:23:55 pm »
I turn the screw 3/4-1 turn and it is throwing out pretty warm heat finally!! I plan on getting a gauge and setting it to 150-175PSIG when I get a chance. Thanks Guys!