Author Topic: CB-86AH heater block cleaning  (Read 12495 times)

ephratah service

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
CB-86AH heater block cleaning
« on: February 28, 2014, 05:15:11 am »
Does any one have an easy way to clean the carbon out of the heater block on this furnace? I removed the plugs and heaters and cleaned with a wire brush and flushed with diesel into a bucket with nozzle removed.
has any one attempted to use seafoam to remove the carbon I have thought about filling block with Seafoam and let it set with out any heat on the block then just purge the block while on the furnace. Any thoughts on this?

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: CB-86AH heater block cleaning
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 03:08:50 pm »
I am a Clean Burn dist. and I will share with you how I do burner rebuilds.

I remove the preheat block from the burner, remove all plugs and elements then I use solvent and gun cleaning brushes to clean all passages. A couple of years ago I bought a ultrasonic cleaner and this has made the process easier. Dremel with a brush can be helpful in some areas.

When you go back together use blue medium strength Loctite for the plugs, elements and nozzle holder. Also do not forget you put a new O-ring on the nozzle holder. 

ephratah service

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 07:05:26 am »
I am all ways worried about breaking the wires to the heaters then being screwed as I don't have any spares here.
 How often do you recommend cleaning the block?
 Where can I purchase a set of spare heaters for my furnace?
I have searched the web for spare parts for the 86AH and have trouble finding them it may be due to it being older. I have never had it serviced by a clean burn tech I have all ways done all the service myself I take the back off the furnace and brush the tubes out and vacuum the fire box out once a year.

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 02:04:15 pm »
Those wires are epoxy in the element so they will stay in. Are you removing the wires from the wiring block before you remove it ? Clean Burn distributors still carry parts for it. If you go to Clean Burns website you can find the dist for your area.

I recommend doing burner rebuilds every 2 years as long as you turn the power off in the Summer.

ephratah service

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 07:07:18 pm »
I attempted to do a search on clean burn site by using my zip code 13452 and it will only pull a dealer from Ontario Canada. I do un hook the wires from the terminal strip and I do shut off power as soon as I can in the spring time.
I have attempted to look on the web using my model number and I cant seem to find much I know it is an older model but it does a fine job of keeping me warm. I have thought about getting a newer model but it is hard to spring for a new unit if the old one is working and I can keep repairing it. The older model is a little harder to service due to the fact that you have to remove the gun from the burn chamber the newer ones the gun swings away on a hinge to service it. Mine is suspended from the ceiling and I have to service it from a 12 foot step ladder kind of a pain, I am thinking about moving it to make it better to service.

ShopSpecialties

• Now that some heat!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 01:53:59 pm »
Ontario is the head office for DSI. They cover all of Canada and like 7 states here. They are the dist for your area and if you call the 800# they can get you all the parts you need.

I do not like hanging heaters and if I do I mount it so the bottom of heater is no higher than 8 foot off the floor.

The new heaters are a big improvement all the way around.