Author Topic: cold ending soon?  (Read 6365 times)

UPSMAN

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
cold ending soon?
« on: January 22, 2014, 04:40:13 pm »
 :o

Tried a little experiment this am, -33C outside, 40F in the shop.  2 gall of waste motor oil in a day tank, 1/2' pipe and valve (ball), open valve and no oil flows out.... too damm cold.

I am not getting anything done this week other than dirty my clothes, oil the floor and burn wood.  Am going to try and plumb the tanks together likely next month . I will take my ute out of the shop and park outside and set up some tables and get to work.

Still need a couple of transfer pumps, low pressure and flow I suppose 1-4 gpm, but I will look at a couple of hydraulic gear pumps and see if that works.  Standard oil burner pump will not do the job.

Ultimately I want clean centrifuge unblended oil into the 100 gall fiberglass fuel tank.  I will pump from there later to a day tank and blend there.  Have toyed with the idea of using a pressure washer soap injector to blend oil and rug that way,.... have to see. I use a 1 gallon graduated pitcher and blend that days blend and add to my day tank.

None of the locals share my interest in this subject so I am on my own .  Post what you guys are doing or not, what works  etc.   Wish I had a diesel to play with, but I sold my 12V back a ways and my 7.3 is also long gone so oil heat is my thing.

-25C currently, animals locked up, wood fire on and wait for Ice Pilots tonight,!  I am lucky enough to have flown in a DC 3 and an Electra when I was a air cadet and for work, so I enjoy the series and Ice road truckers as well.

Stay warm
LM
If it ain't burning then its not hot enuff!!

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: cold ending soon?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 08:39:10 pm »
Not quite that cold here, but close.  -15F or -26C.  None the less, cold, especially with the wind!

Ice road truckers wasnt on TV when we stayed up in Jasper & Banff last year.  I thought maybe they didnt air it up there? 

Anyway, stay warm and get some oil burning.  Lots of BTU's to be had.